The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Joshua's Footsteps

Joshua's Footsteps

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A little about Joshua.
There was a strange eeriness about the room. Eerie may not be the correct word, for there are connotations which are not right, a search of the dictionary brings up weird, for this implies fate and destiny.

Laying in a bed was my daughter, by her side a lady who to me is indescribable, not my daughter's maternal mother, for she has left this world, but her soul mother.

In my daughters eyes I could see both absolute excitement, combined in a mish mash of terror. My wifes eyes were as determined to be there as they were tired, her hand interlocked with my daughters as it had been for hours.

In another world, he waited. It appeared that things were different, the normal muffled sounds were there, the constant re-assuring rhythm, the muffled sounds from outside.He was though, in his world, he was safe, warm, well fed and happy. He was most importantly, in control.

A myriad of miracles had converted a few strands of code into little fingers waiting to claw their way into existence, little feet to walk the many roads, little legs to give the power, little eyes to take it all in, and a little mind to absorb and analyse.

It was time, Joshua sent a hormone infusion into his mother's blood stream that would start a sequence of events that her body had been preparing for for years (corticosteroids for those technically interested, and in particular - oxytocin: "The hormone of love").

At 3.55 am on the 4th April 2008 Joshua John joined the rest of us and his destiny.
Posted by Wybong, Wednesday, 6 January 2010 2:37:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Regardless of the reductionism,

Best of luck to your toddling grandson Joshua, Wybong.

Joshua is a powerful and historic name, reputedly that of one of the movers and shakers of our society. Some will allude spiritual significance, but at the very least one namesake imported the ethical and philosophical advances of the ancient greeks to the Jews, causing a revolution that is still settling today.

If you believe in a deity, may it bless you, if not, may your stochastic outcomes be biased in Joshua's favour.

Rusty.
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Wednesday, 6 January 2010 9:42:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Firstly, let me thank you Rusty for replying to what may seem; the meaningless bragging of a proud grandfather, but I hope to develop the discussion much further.

I am aware that I use the reductionist approach and make no apologies for it. I have spent the better part of my life learning what ever I can, culminating with my being awarded a triple major in Science at the age of 37. Reductionism is even apparent in my choices here: Biochemistry, Histology and Gross Anatomy: Molecular, Micro and Macro.

I am just a simple man, son of a simple farmer, but I wonder, so I have explored far beyond the gentle pastures of the Hunter Valley, well they were gentle pastures, they are now ugly dust spewing scars of mans desperate struggle to supply us with more of what we already have and waste and probably didn't need in the first place.

My sympathies go out to all those poor people who have to suffer from the gentle swishing sounds of the wind farms, and have to look these sculptures of mans "expression of interest" to try and live more harmoniously and less invasively on this planet.

More of this much later, I have bigger fish to fry first.
Posted by Wybong, Wednesday, 6 January 2010 10:37:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm out of posts, but please, the bigger fish?

Brag on, this is an indulgence any might forgive. I look forward to when grandchildren come and wish yours all the best.

Not so worried about the wind farms, I see them as the grid-connected equivalents of our windmills. We have a couple of old Southern-X's, pretty much "granfather's axe" now. I love the solar pumps - One man operation all the way and no towers to climb. I wouldn't mind a couple of wind generators to supplement, but that's just me.

My own background is Biochem, molecular genetics, a smattering of anatomy, physiol, pharmacol, a swathe of introductory engineering and a lot a lab work on Lung Cancer. There was the odd elective in paleo, but that hardly counts.

Where to next?

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Wednesday, 6 January 2010 10:57:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wybong: Congratulations on the birth of your grandson. What a wonderful event - a new life makes everything else make sense doesn't it; like fulfilling our purpose.

Your wife sounds like a lovely person too btw and you described the scene beautifully.

Best wishes to you all
Posted by Pynchme, Wednesday, 6 January 2010 11:48:25 PM
Wybong,

Though you are a scientist - you have also the heart and soul of a poet.

Thank you for the post - and congratulations on the birth of your grandson, Joshua.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 7 January 2010 1:46:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy