The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ethics Classes vs Scripture in Public Schools?

Ethics Classes vs Scripture in Public Schools?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All
In NSW, where up to 50-80% of pupils in some public schools 'opt out' of scripture lessons, it has been proposed to trial an ethics course to coincide with scripture classes. Apparently the NSW Education Act currently "prohibits non-scripture students being taught while others receive religious instruction" due to a 19th century deal between the NSW government and the churches, so those pupils who opt out of scripture waste that part of the school week watching videos, or in some cases being forced to sit outside the principal's office.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/26/2697351.htm

While I don't think that it's actually illegal for kids in Queensland and other State schools to be taught something useful instead of religious instruction, in my experience the situation for those pupils who opt out of scripture classes is similar to that in NSW. As a parent I've long found this to be unsatisfactory, and I'd welcome the introduction of a well-designed and delivered ethics course as an alternative to 'religious education' for students in State schools who wish to opt out of it.

Given the somewhat 'unholy' alliance between the Qld Education and Christian organisation such as the Scripture Union I don't think it's likely in the near future, but perhaps the NSW proposal may get the ball rolling interstate as well. I certainly hope so - what do others think?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 26 September 2009 3:26:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ

Your ethics idea sounds a much bettter proposition than what we currently have in Queensland, which is very much as you describe. You're right, Scripture Union has gained enormous influence over schools here - through its growing stranglehold on religious 'education' and through its goal of placing chaplains in all public schools.

Personally, I'd go a step further. I'd ban religious 'education' in all public schools and introduce philosophy instead. It's already been done very successfully in several pulic schools. It would cover ethics and as well encourage a deeper and more reflective form of thinking than currently exists in most educational institutions.
Posted by Bronwyn, Saturday, 26 September 2009 3:50:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ MORGAN,

How dare you!

We thoroughly enjoyed our free periods twice a week. In summer we used to spend it playing cricket in the playground which, come to think of it, is the best ethics class you can imagine.

You, sir, are a KILLJOY!

A KILLJOY I tell you.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Saturday, 26 September 2009 3:56:10 PM
Dear CJ,

I think the study of ethics would be very useful
to any student, as would Bronwyn's suggestion
regarding philosophy. It would teach students
to think. And as we know the authority of the
thinker can surpass that of the warrior.

The philosopher Julian Baggini has this to say:

" A philosophical approach to life is not about
developing a philosophy of life, nor about
constructing one's own metaphysical system in the
privacy of one's own mind. It is rather about
subjecting all our beliefs to clear, rational
scrutiny, including our belief about what
constitutes clear, rational thinking. This is something
best done in conjunction with others, not ourselves,
which is why philosophers sometimes come across as such
argumentative souls. Whereas often our conversations
tend to be really no more than exchange of ideas, the
philosopher wants to examine their ideas and probe
them more. To those unfamiliar with this approach, such
scrutiny can be seen like a challenge or a threat.
But the aim is not to quarrel, it is to pursue the truth."

Shouldn't this be the purpose of
education?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 26 September 2009 6:05:57 PM
I fully agree with CJ and Bronwyn on this one, in fact its a subject
I've raised before on OLO.

The problem remains that the small but loud religious fraternity
want to claim anything associated even vaguely with morality,
as their little patch and would see this as the thin edge of the
wedge, which I hope it is.

Only parents protesting loudly will eventually change things.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 26 September 2009 7:16:33 PM
An ethics class is an excellent idea in both public and private schools. Many children attending even religious run private schools do not necessarily attend them for purely religious reasons.

Children would be far better to learn about the rights and wrongs of common ethical and moreal dilemas in our current society and way of life, than to learn about any particular God or religion.

Religion should be left outside the school curriculum altogether.
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 26 September 2009 7:25:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy