The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Forum defaults - page display

Forum defaults - page display

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Does anyone look at OLO threads page by page? My first action when I open a thread is to display all the pages at once. If that's what most people do, it should be the default setting.

Agree or not?
Posted by Sancho, Thursday, 26 March 2009 8:28:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well yeah, but I don't really care. It isn't a biggie. How much time does it take out of your day to click 'All'?.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 26 March 2009 10:37:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do the same but do not care if its default setting
Posted by Belly, Friday, 27 March 2009 4:44:25 AM
This aspect of OLO has been discussed before in the technical support area. From memory an explanation given for not making the 'All' choice the default was that, for the benefit of users having only dial-up connections, it avoided the need for an otherwise excessively slow access to viewing posts.

Would it help if the last page in any given thread (as presently paginated by the OLO software) was made the default?

If one came late to a discussion having only a dial-up connection, one could still view the thread one page at a time if earlier posts had not yet been seen. For those that have remained up to date with the topic (presumably the majority of viewers, but only OLO would know), the amount of data served by default by OLO each time a user monitors a thread would be minimised. For those who prefer it, the choice of 'All' remains.

Has anyone been experiencing a greater than usual number of 'Server error' messages when attempting to load OLO pages?

Or has the speed of page loading decreased?

Arjay indicated a problem in posting on this thread: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=2625#59296
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Friday, 27 March 2009 10:37:53 AM
ForrestGumpp:

I had just finshed complaining to Graham that I had recently spent at least half an hour on 3 seperate occasions recently, compiling, correcting spelling and composition, plus removing excess words and sentences to meet the Forum requirements, only to find that upon clicking the "post discussion" the submission seemed to simply vanish into the ether or I was greeted with "Server Error".

Another simple but frustrating happening occurs when after creating a submission and "previewing " for mistakes etc, one is viewing the "preview revision" copy and indavertantly "clicks" on a mis-spelt word, instead of the "original" compilation and voila it again disappears into limbo and is obviously non-retrievable!

As I am one of the happy campers who resides in a country area and at this time does not have access to Broadband, I find the whole deal very annoying due to the painfully slow (26.4kbs) performance via the Trujillo Superannuation Scheme.
Posted by Cuphandle, Friday, 27 March 2009 11:29:22 AM
Cuphandle

"Another simple but frustrating happening occurs when after creating a submission and "previewing " for mistakes etc, one is viewing the "preview revision" copy and indavertantly "clicks" on a mis-spelt word, instead of the "original" compilation and voila it again disappears into limbo and is obviously non-retrievable!"

I know exactly how you feel. I've done this myself many times. It's easy to do when you're a little tired or in a hurry. It would be great to have some sort of retrieval back up.

I've noticed though, that you don't always lose your work when you do this, only some of the time. Often it will just jump you down to your original copy. That's when it's being co-operative!
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 27 March 2009 12:29:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy