The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > gender common to all forms of discrimination

gender common to all forms of discrimination

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Disadvantage from discrimination based on race, religion, colour, age and disability persist in modern society despite ongoing efforts at eradication.

Gender is common to all.

Achieve equity between women and men and all else follows.

Smart government comprising agreement between women's and men's legislatures presided over by elders accompanied by courts of women's and men's jurisdiction achieves equity
Posted by whistler, Thursday, 12 March 2009 11:07:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<chants> 'ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go
'ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go-o

I don't know what relevance that has to whistler's topic, but it is an example of a mindless, yet popular pastime.

Note the "popular": it implies that at least some of the voices chanting are being produced OUTSIDE one's head. Perhaps that's the relevance...
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 12 March 2009 12:05:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whistler you really are a great poster. So zany. I love it. I like your style.

Have you ever met Gibo. I reckon you'd both get on well in real life.

In fact, if it were possible, I'd get your good self, Gibo, runner, BOAZ, Col and SJF to come down the pub with me. All my favourite posters. Man I'd love that. We'd talk for hours and hours, and tap in to all those fantastic ideas.

Hey, do you reckon if men and women were treated equally, there'd be no war! I honestly, Totally believe that all the world needs is love. I really like the way you use 'absent' too. It's really cool. I've really got to try it out because, and I'm no expert believe me, but it seems to me it makes you sound really cool.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 12 March 2009 12:53:37 PM
Dear whistler,

I have to admit that in today's world, I've got
it much better than my mother had in her day.
Sure, I don't get equal pay with men doing the
same work as me - but at least I do get a decent
wage that would enable me to support myself -
and not have to rely on my husband's salary.

I actually don't envy the men in most cases.
As Ian Robertson, in his book, "Sociology,"
points out, and I quote:

"To a man, the main advantage is that he has
relatively greater access to wealth, power,
and prestige. He can earn more money, control
more of his environment, and experience a range of
career and other opportunities that are beyond the
reach of most women. The main disadvantage is the
tremenduous stress associated with a life of
competition, repressed feelings, and the fear of
failure."

I don't suffer from stress-related diseases such as
ulcers, hypertension, and asthma. I don't want to
commit suicide, I don't have any severe mental
disorders, or drink to excess. My life expectancy,
hopefully will be a long one. So I guess there's
a price men pay for their 'success.'

Perhaps one day a person's individual human
qualities will matter more, rather than their
biological sex. And those qualities will be the
measure of a person's worth and achievment.

We can live and hope.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 12 March 2009 2:57:55 PM
excellent post Foxy, though i would argue individual human qualities are not gender specific, there is no 'mankind'.

the prospect of women and men dealing with each other on equal terms in the modern world is exhilerating.

the good news for the others who posted is that smart government eradicates discrimination which causes disadvantage to those stranded on the scrapheap of inequity.
Posted by whistler, Thursday, 12 March 2009 10:18:05 PM
Doesn't matter what you do there's always 'profiling' going on by those at the top. Certain jobs demand certain attributes. Certain roles in society demand certain attributes. We'd all like to think that there wasn't grey areas where anyone can be whatever they like.

I've seen - most likely we all have - situations where one race is preferred over another for employment. For example many produce farms prefer our asian brethren as employees. Probably some for dishonest reasons but alot of it is because they'll work all day, every day, more so than 'westernised' workers.

I know many employers don't like to employ Islanders for various roles due motivation generalisations.

I've seen employers who won't employ males for certain roles.

Unfortunately what you see is what you'll get forever. In order for someone to be a judge - male or female - they have to adhere to certain 'traditions'.

It's just the way we work. We can continue the fight to minimise overt and unfair discrimination but certain age, sex, race, faith, ability or disability profiling is going to continue forever.
Posted by StG, Friday, 13 March 2009 7:28:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy