The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Fat Content Of Meat

Fat Content Of Meat

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
We've been tightening up the belt recently and because of that we've been eating a lot more chicken, beef mince, and snags.

Has anyone else noticed a large increase in fat content in the meat recently?. I think the missus got much of it from the large three supermarkets and has done for a long time. We got a jar of fat and some other liquid substance from roasting a chook. Some mince we got had a yuk amount of fat in it after it was cooked. In the last few months it's been a regular thing. We DO aim for the more expensive end of the cheaper meats lately.

Anyone know why this could be happening?.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 15 February 2009 12:27:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What kind of mince are you talking about?
Posted by eftfnc, Monday, 16 February 2009 12:55:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
StG, alot of people think that chook contains less fat, as it is
harder to see, being a similar colour as the meat. With red meats
fat just stands out more, due to the colour difference.

Mince at say Coles, is star rated. The more stars, the more you
pay, the less fat in the mince.

Snags etc will have a lot of fat, butchers call it "value adding".
Either they grind it up into sausages or patties, or they have to
throw it away.

One of the best ways to buy value in meat is to buy roasts and cut
them into steaks, diced, or mince yourself. Where I am in WA,
large lamb legs are on special for 8.50$ today. The same meat
diced, costs double that much.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 16 February 2009 1:32:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have always eaten a lot of mince. I buy whole rump steer at the local retail/wholesaler and pay under $7.00 a kilo. Once I have cut all the outer fat off I reckon it it has cost me about $8.50 a kilo. I then mince it and flatten it into several flat plate-like forms and freeze it for easy defrost as and when I need it. This a far cheaper method of getting completely fat-free meat which has even less fat than the premium stuff you get in the super markets at two thirds the price and without any of the other rubbish that sometimes gets included in bought mince. You just have to get smart !
Posted by snake, Monday, 16 February 2009 3:36:58 PM
here's the go

get lamb mince as it is cheaper, sear it very well in a snorepan [not frypan or goes lumpy] and pour off all the oil once it smells "nutty"

save oil in fridge and once it looks like white lard it IS like white lard, so spread in big mobs on toast - yummy

this makes sure no fat in meal
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Monday, 16 February 2009 4:07:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
StG

Heard a book mentioned on Radio National on the weekend which apparently is all about cooking with cheaper cuts of meat and generally getting meat to go further. It was called "Leftovers" and was written by Kate someone. Unfortunately I didn't catch her surname. Sorry, not much help I know. Perhaps someone else knows the book I'm talking about.

Hopefully, there'll be lots of these type of publications from now on, what with entering leaner times and the need to reduce consumption and conserve the planet and all.
Posted by Bronwyn, Tuesday, 17 February 2009 12:00:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy