The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Can we tell much by looks?

Can we tell much by looks?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I've often wondered how easy or accurate it is to tell much about a person by looks.

Is a pretty girl also a nice person?
Is a handsome man likewise?

Do good looks tend to push people in particular attitude directions toward others?

Can we generalize or.. partly generalize? If say we had 10 people who had exceptional good looks..and 10 people of average looks.. is there anything we can say which would be more likely to characterize each group ?

Do you have any experience with this.. where your first impression has been proven correct or completely wrong?

Can we tell by the lines in the face... the eyes.. the mouth.. if a person is hiding a scurrelous background?

Would a former war criminal/SS officer "look" like they have killed a large number of people?

I'm interested in contributors thoughts.
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 17 December 2008 12:16:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, I grew up on a farm where there were various caretakers. One caretaker started to come up and play chess with dad and gave us kids (I was about grade 4) from this area lifts from the bus to our various places.

Dad liked him, I was, to be honest, indifferent, I wish I could say *I sensed it* Dads best friend did sense it though, and was so off this man, just really disliked him.

Dad found some bloody clothes in our creek, around the time a little boy refused a lift (Hector the cat says don't go with strangers) in a small town down the road. The police were called Anyyyyyyyyyyway turns out he was a serial killer, mainly killing little boys with rape and knifing, his wife knew all along... they had just had their own baby actully.

He is still in jail today and insisting he is innocent, One of mums friends was a counceller in that jail and said he seemed very normal but for a really dark sexual pic of a woman he had in his cell.

Recently he in a documentary (from jail still) and seemed so normal and nice, but he's not, my dad had the kids soaked blood drenched clothes.

So I'll go a "no" on that one Poly!
Posted by meredith, Wednesday, 17 December 2008 5:16:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh Meredith, how absolutely devastating for your parents as well as the poor devils who were the parents of the young boy!

Friends of mine out behind Maroochydore let a nice young fella and his girlfriend rent a caravan on the property. They were discovered by a mutual friend tortured to death one afternoon in a manner so horrible it defies description.

And hey, on a personal note: I married a sociopathic, violent batterer who was blond-haired, blue-eyed, handsome and very pleasantly behaved. Wish there'd been a line around his eyes or something I could have seen to warn me: - all he would have seen of me would have been dust.

So I reckon I'd have to go a "no" too.
Posted by Romany, Wednesday, 17 December 2008 5:56:34 PM
Romany,yes! It was haunting for our family and the area in general, but none of us were physically hurt... He was charged with 3 life terms, they only could get him on 3 murders but they think there were many more, which is yeh, just yucky... He is a serial killer.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a horrible time.. I hope your well now. DV is very nasty stuff, insidious and deeply damaging.

Keep safe!
Posted by meredith, Wednesday, 17 December 2008 6:21:35 PM
Good looks did not become important until man rose above the need to be pre-occupied with survival and sought more subtle social,artistic and mathematical indulgences such as symmetry,that pandered to our egos.

Good looks might reflect good breeding,but nothing surpasses the ability of the individual to excel using their innate abilities
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 17 December 2008 7:24:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"You will know them by their fruits..." Matthew 7:16-20.

How they act and react.

Its a hard question to answer when it comes to an truly evil heart that wants to hide its intentions.

A person may open his or her mouth and give their hearts away, but that too may take time.

We might pick some by their dress, but we may also be quite wrong, so its not a good standard.

A christian friend watches people in church to see who their looking at and can actually pick those who are sexually inclined towards any women, girls or even children.

He's an elder of course and interested in who might disturb church life.

Id say generally its quite hard to pick bad folks by looks though I dont doubt God gives discernment to quite a few people as to strangers.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 17 December 2008 7:43:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy