The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > rights and wrongs of entry

rights and wrongs of entry

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I am fine on most of the new IR laws but Union right of entry into enterprises where they may have no members, and the right to look at the books is a step too far.

What place is there in our democracy for an overtly partisan group which may represent nobody in a workplace (the workers decision) to act in this manner.

In my industry, Construction, the various unions have a history of corruption, standover and unethical behaviour. These are the mob going to keep others honest?

The govt. are granting unions a quasi policing role which should be the job of a govt. agency. The govt. is seeking to payback the union movement for its support obviously; but also to give them status not earned, as indicated by a paltry 16% membership in private industry.

Surely this is a job for an impartial agency and not the unions?
Posted by palimpsest, Friday, 28 November 2008 8:41:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
dear palimpsest

you have a right to reject anyone entering

no unionist can have rights even police dont have

but then again
did you complain when howhard changes the laws
to your favour?

if not think about why your complaining now

shortly it will be the least of your problem's

again we have the same vilen[john how hard]to who nothing unreasonable was not only expected but delivered

can you even now see he went way to far
selling off THE public assets

allowing govt to lie
giving us extra gst [tax]fuel tax , booze /cigarette taxes[but not wine of course]

lying on inflation figures [by removing petrol and housing from the 'beautifull numbers']

or deeming 2 hours work as full time em-ploy-meant

[lest we forget patricks]gunns[or the gladstone magnesia fiasco ;1 billion gifted to his mates to get their share dividends,

putting public servsants geneous pensions into slush funds
[controled by the boys club

forcing us to prop up the stock market with our wages

forcing us to forgo a deserved wage increase to prop up the same market forces

delivering us into war ,the list of his crimes are extensive
and the worst yuou can find to gripe about is some union slob ,able to be fined or jailed for just trying to do his/her job

i know things are tough

but bro we aint seen all the chickens come home to roost just yet
Posted by one under god, Friday, 28 November 2008 11:38:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SO..... it appears all the coalition 'PROPOGANDA' was in fact simply a statement of truth, and more of a "prediction" than propoganda.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24702063-5013871,00.html

"as unions stand to win back rights to demand industry-wide pay deals and access to the wage records of non-members.

WHAT? "ACCESS TO WAGE RECORDS OF NON UNIONISTS"?

Employers are furious that unions - which represent just 14 per cent of the private sector workforce - will get a seat at the bargaining table even if just one worker in a large company belongs to a union.

EMPLOYERS FURIOUS? nooooooo kidding!

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov.au/www/ministers/RobertMc.nsf/Page/Speeches_2008_17November2008-HumanRightsUnderaRuddLaborGovernment-Whatwillbedifferent

Point 23:
"After all, we promised that on coming to government, we would work towards recognising and respecting the human rights of all Australians."

REALLLLLY? that is an absolute outright LIE.

LABOR did not give us fairness it is giving us FASCISM.
Posted by Polycarp, Saturday, 29 November 2008 6:51:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry bloke but I too am from the construction industry, and with great pride a union official.
Well first[silence my brothers truth still has value] some union actions in the industry are beneath contempt.
I n fact some bought John Howard lifetime hatred of unions to a head with workchoices.
That also bought about the exile of conservative federal government for two or three terms.
CORRUPTION
!
I exists still in the building industry, in fact it is the fashion, workchoices and Howard did nothing about it.
The ABBC is unconcerned about it, turns a blind eye to it.
Not union evil, but endemic and out of control corruption, un policed thefts.
Much of it payed for by the tax payer on government funded projects.
Right now its Christmas time, from foremen to project managers Utes and 4x4s near scrap on the ground full of illegal bribes, to ensure some one wins the subbys jobs.
Or plant hire/labour hire contracts.
Heard about the MILLIONS of dollars stolen by NSW state rail supervisors and contractors?
It happened BECAUSE it is standard practice in the industry.
I want the right, now and forever to see bad bosses, and a few who make honest mistakes pay proper wages.
Not to be a storm trooper or thug but just have the Right to fight for a fair go.
Make sure the laws are obeyed by both sides my full support but to see low level supervisors in BMW's
And paid plant items near stacked on top of one another sickens me.
Why brand the few idiots in unions for being amateur thieves when the big money is made on the other side?
Few even know what the ABBC is.
But if they get of their bottoms and look at real workplace crimes instead of haunting unionists we all would be better for it.
I for one would never talk to one of them even if the subject was cricket.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 29 November 2008 6:58:57 AM
palimpsest,

In the context of your example I agree. No members no union access.
But I agree that Union should have access to their members only their members. I would be furious if as a non unionist if my personal details were open to union as I would for any non Govt organization.
However the problem is that neither side in that industry have very good historic track records for good faith dealing.

I do agree that there should be Quasi autonomous Govt Organization that can police practices better. The books should be open only to the Authorized QANGO.

Then there's the issue of the cost.

The problem is the $'s= power= corruption etc.

Many companies engaged in development are so highly leveraged and that encourages cutting corners and a belief that they are entitled to make outrageous profits. And when they fail its often the tradies and investors that lose. Businesses are entitled to a fair profit but what is fair? All I know is that manipulation of the market is obscene. As it's the the average buyer who pays the price.

On the other side we have those who see the mercs etc and then make unreasonable claims often assuming that the business has unlimited cash. I've even heard it said "just because I got bored and left school in early high school doesn't mean I'm not ENTITLED to the same wages as someone who went to Uni! Besides the Boss is rich he can afford it"
Workers are entitled to a fair wage but what is fair?
This conflict helps to inflate house prices... to the point where well the credit crash...Greed on all parts
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 29 November 2008 4:39:08 PM
A comment on the side for "one under god" that mentioned:

"forcing us to prop up the stock market with our wages"

This is incorrect: one always had the option of placing their superannuation funds in an RSA (Retirement Saving Account), which is a totally safe and interest-bearing bank account, unaffected by the stock market.

On the subject itself, I oppose the new IR laws. I find it outrageous that the government would not allow two consenting adults to make whatever agreements between them as they see fit (so long, of course, that the agreement is made by free choice and does not hurt any third party).
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 29 November 2008 9:04:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy