The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Indoor Composts

Indoor Composts

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Hi everyone,

I'm doing a design research paper for university on indoor composting. As part of my research I've created a short 10 question survey to research public opinion. I would be very appreciative if as many people as possible could take 3 mins to fill out the survey so that my research has some added credibility!

For survey go here http://www.ai-design.com.au
...just fill out the form and hit submit...that easy!

Thanks for your time
Posted by greenthumb, Thursday, 23 October 2008 12:38:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Done and dusted. Good luck.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 23 October 2008 5:10:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Also done.

Not sure how an indoor system would have advantages over outdoor composting unless you are in a unit and have pot plants. :)

Good luck.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 24 October 2008 8:30:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No problem, I completed your survey.
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 24 October 2008 11:38:37 AM
Hello Greenthumb

Since I’m the original prophet of doom, I have refrained from completing your survey. For me, indoor composting has a distinct disadvantage since Australia continues with its prolific use of Endosulfan, an organochlorine insecticide.

There are 8 registered Endosulfan pesticide products in Australia that are used on an extensive range of produce including cotton, cereals, oilseeds, fruit, vegetables and a range of other crops.

Over fifty five countries have banned the use of Endosulfan including several developing countries. Not so in the “clean and green lands” of Australia (and of course, the USA.)

The USEPA has advised that Endosulfan is an endocrine disruptor, contrary to the advice offered by our Australian governments. It is claimed that Endosulfan is oestrogenic and antiandrogenic in human cells, and causes breast cancer cells to grow. It also interferes with male hormones,causing chronic depression of testosterone.

http://www.dea.org.au/node/260

It is toxic to and suppresses the immune system, as well as promoting allergic responses. No doubt the recycling of the toxic, commercially grown fruit and vegetable peel would be considered for use in this compost.

Therefore, indoors or outdoors, one could also be recycling trace amounts of the bio-accumulative Endosulfan if one plans to use commercially grown, inorganic kitchen scraps.

Naturally, if one chooses not to use these kitchen scraps, they will ultimately end up in landfill anyway.

I offer this information in good faith – best wishes in your endeavours!

On reflection, perhaps it is not I who is the party pooper here but rather our slack regulators?:

http://ntn.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=1

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w2k401x6p7888525/
Posted by dickie, Friday, 24 October 2008 2:59:14 PM
That's very worrying, Dickie, thanks for this information. I didn't even realise that Australia was still using endosulfan.

If other countries have banned it they must be using something safer instead. Why is Australia not willing to use an alternative, too?
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 24 October 2008 8:31:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy