The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Police question woman over the use of a breast pump

Police question woman over the use of a breast pump

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
A young mother was followed by police and security officers through a shopping mall then questioned after a complaint over her expressing breast milk in a parents room.
This occurred in a shopping centre in Adelaide. She was in a parent's room which is for the purpose of breast feeding, and was doing this behind a curtain, and was seen by a cleaner who invaded her privacy by going behind the curtain, and a child who was running around the parent's room.
Why is our society becoming so prudish? Why should a young mother be forced to express milk in an unhygenic place such as a toilet. (Would you prepare your meal in a toilet?)
Breast milk is the best that can be given to new born babies. These days, it's not always possible for new mothers to have their babies with them all the time, some like this mother have to return to work for financial reasons, and mother's will express milk for future use.
This woman is owned an apology by the shopping centre, the police and the cleaner who made the complaint. The cleaner should also be reprimanded and warned that any future incidents like this will result in dismissal.
Posted by Steel Mann, Thursday, 28 August 2008 8:43:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find it hard to believe that the Police would not have more to do than talk to this woman about this matter. I wonder if we are not being told the full story?
Posted by runner, Thursday, 28 August 2008 10:30:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh I don't know - they seem to have pretty strange attitudes to breasts in Adelaide:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/27/2347993.htm
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 28 August 2008 10:44:02 AM
Strange that anyone would even think its a problem in a parents room. I'd be a little mre reserved about sitting on a bench out in the open, but at the end of the day there shouldnt be a problem with that either as its no different to breastfeeding in public, which is perfectly legal (even though some still cant get their minds around what breasts are really for). The main reason that I wouldnt sit on a bench out in public to express is that it is much more revealing that simply breastfeeding, resulting in much more staring. As someone who expresses several times a day (thanks to working and still trying to do the best thing possible for my baby), I am a bit ticked off by a report like this.
Posted by Country Gal, Thursday, 28 August 2008 12:29:36 PM
SM, can you provide a link to this story? Frankly, I would seriously doubt the accuracy of this story. The media loves to exaggerate and sensationalise, and these sort of over the top tales need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just because the media says something happened in a particular way, doesn't mean it did. You know the old line, "don't let the truth get in way of a good story".
Posted by SallyG, Thursday, 28 August 2008 1:14:12 PM
Country gal, your education appears to be sadly lacking.

I suggest a couple of days studding with Pamela Anderson, who, I'm sure, can advise you on what breasts are really for. I believe she is, or was, or will be, in Oz, now or shortly, or some such.

Perhaps our policemen, with nothing better to do, were merely trying to helpfully advise this lady of her error.

Perhaps she should have gone to the beach, where she could have disappeared in a sea of breasts. Ladies do sunbake topless even in Adelaide, don't they?

Yes Sally, it was probably a quiet [news] day in Adelaide, many of them are, in my experience.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 28 August 2008 2:09:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy