The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Greens lose the plot on population issues

Greens lose the plot on population issues

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
The Greens have abandoned any pretence that they are a party that cares for the environment with their continued failure to engage in any debate about Australia’s future population.

Instead, The Greens use obfuscation to hide the fact that they don’t have a population policy at all. The Greens use phrases such as “our environmental impact is not determined by population numbers alone, but by the way that people live” in their population policy in a clear affront to the reality that Australia has the highest per capita carbon footprint in the world.

Judging by the media releases found on the party’s website, The Greens appear to be more concerned with Work Choices, Guantanamo Bay and the Dalai Lama than campaigning for a sustainable population policy that that will benefit all Australians, as well as the environment.

With current immigration trends, Australia’s population will double by the year 2050 and then double again to 100 million people by 2100. This is a serious issue not only for the environment but also for Australian society which will face tumultuous changes.

The Greens should stop trying to be a party of the extreme left, and instead engage the Australian public and the federal government in a sensible debate about the serious issues of immigration and population.

http://therealists.com.au/?p=15
Posted by Efranke, Friday, 11 July 2008 4:24:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"So despite the immediate success of this action on behalf of greens it actually resulted in twice as many seals being slaughtered. There is no excuse for ignorance."

Equally, there is no excuse for inaction, which is all we've ever seen from both the major parties on climate change until the last year or so, thirty years after the Greens started attempting to bring the issue to prominence way back in the seventies. If we'd actually listened to them then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.

I for one am very grateful we've now got the Greens numbers up in the Senate so that Kevin Rudd can be held to account in implementing the measures he's promised on climate change.

The Coalition buried their heads in the sand and did nothing for eleven years. Labor to their credit are moving in the right direction but their plans are still not nearly as wide ranging as they need to be. The Greens are our only real hope on climate change and always have been. And yet we've got people who could be getting behind them and helping make a real difference choosing instead to carp and nitpick from the sidelines.

When it comes to population policy, I'm sure it wasn't Greens members who voted to increase our skilled migration by another 30 000 to bring it up to over 130 000 in total.

Judy Spence, while I've got your ear, why is the Bligh Government going ahead with a dam which is an environmental disaster on every front, particularly regarding the pumping of water which will dramatically increase emissions? Lots of work for the Bligh Government on the environmental front. I'm afraid I don't see enough evidence yet to convince me that any members of that government are in a position to be advising others on environmental policy.
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 11 July 2008 10:58:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The greens were infiltrated by the rabid left years ago and have gone down hill as a consequence.

Thats what happens when you have Trotskyite scum running the hidden agenda.
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 11 July 2008 11:12:26 AM
I fully agree Efranke. The Greens have lost their way. Well….they were never really on the right track anyway.

As a former member and Qld state candidate, I think that their lack of ‘sustainabilityism’ and support for continuous never-ending human expansionism is utterly dismal.

Bob Brown is good on a lot of things, but is just a dead loss when it comes to this stuff.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 11 July 2008 11:47:42 AM
What the greens say makes sense. Population alone is only one factor in our environmental impact. Furthermore it is the least important factor in Australia's context, because while our population is stabilising, our standard of living, or per capita impact, continues to rise.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/population-sustainability.html#IPAT
Posted by freediver, Friday, 11 July 2008 12:34:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What on earth makes you to think that our population is stabilising freediver?

It isn't going anywhere near levelling off.

The only thing that has sort of stabilised is the massive rate of pop growth!
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 11 July 2008 3:38:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy