The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > So...what was wrong with Pauline Hanson?

So...what was wrong with Pauline Hanson?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
Just curious about what folk thought about Pauline Hanson.
Beyond her initial speech in federal parliament some years ago I really didnt look all that carefully at any of her policies.
I thought she was good and said things most of us didnt have a chance to say.
Why were people so offended with this young lady?
Was she a threat to "the system"?
I thought she was a sweetie with a bit of grit..
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 9:03:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gibo

Pauline Hanson was a threat to the National and Liberal Parties. She was "diluting" the conservative vote and thus had to go.

I did not like her policies - so what. I would never have voted for her.
Posted by ruawake, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 10:07:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pauline's problem was she said out loud what was well understood by
many but which the politically correct did not want to hear.

If you want to put forward a situation to the public it is unfortunate
that you have to get it past the chattering classes who run the media
and large parts of the political machine.

Pauline did not understand that, but I am sure she well understands it
now, but it is too late. When she was framed and gaoled it must have
been a bitter lesson in the control that the politically correct hold
over the country. They seem to totally control the Greens and
Democrats a significant part of the Labour and and Liberal parties.

I don't mean that they have administrative control but they certainly
have ideological control which is more important anyway.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 12:21:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Ruawake. I wonder if there had been a concerted conspiracy to get her. A million or so in compensation would have ben a small price to pay for blocking her.
Thanks Bazz. The Greens in particular have some really weird policies. Many seem to be gay or pro-gay which will weaken their strength...which is good. Even today I believe most of the ordinary folk dont like the gay movement.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 12:31:47 PM
What was wrong with Pauline Hanson?

Many, many things.

I'll start with her suitability as an individual, then get to policies.

Take a look back to the 'please explain?' moment. She had no idea what the word 'xenophobic' meant.

This was a clear indication that if she wasn't stupid, she was at the very least, unworldly.

It sounds elitist, but bear with me here.

I expect my politicians should have a reasonble understanding of the world around them. They need to have a certain amount of savvy, or they will be very easily manipulated by powerful people who are smarter than them.

If she doesn't even know the meaning of the word 'xenophobic' how would she negotiate with foreign businesses? trade delegations? Even her own constituents, who might attempt to manipulate her for their own reasons.

Put simply, I expect more. I expect politicians who can grasp very complex issues in a very short amount of time.

Aside from the fact that as an individual, she clearly didn't have the nous to navigate through the hustle and bustle of politics, she also had an appalling understanding of international affairs.

Anyone remember the 'swamped by Asians' comments? Even our more paranoid posters here prefer to focus on Muslims, realising that our Asian neighbours don't pose as much of a threat, and insulting our prime trade partners isn't a wise endeavour. I can see the wisdom in policies restricting things like foreign ownership (The Singapore government owns more Australian assets than the Australian government) but Pauline's approach was just stupid.

Again, lacking in nous, and doing tremendous damage to our country.

Put simply? She wasn't up to the job, and even if she was, her positions were foolhardy.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 1:27:49 PM
Mostly have to agree with turnleftthenright. It is undeniable however that she struck a chord with a large number of average aussies who have real concerns about multiculturalism and the move away from the policies of integration.

She just wasn't very smart. But I think an awful lot of Australians felt a greater sense of affinity with her than any of the slick pollies around at the time.
Posted by Paul.L, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 1:45:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy