The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > religion in politics

religion in politics

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
here's a quote from jfk's campaign, which seems like a good description of how a nation should be run, if the national aim is justice and simple fair play.

"I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute," Kennedy told the Houston ministers, "where no Catholic prelate would tell the President -- should he be Catholic -- how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference ... I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish; where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source; where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials."

here in oz, very different views have prevailed. i suspect that diverting public funds to religious institutions is divisive. i strongly suspect that diverting public funds to private schools is even more divisive. yet it is winning politics in a parliamentary state. it's a perfect example of special interests feeding off the common purse: parliamentary politics in a nutshell.

if you wonder where your taxes go, they are bled off into many special interests to re-elect pollies, the residue is spent on the nation.
Posted by DEMOS, Thursday, 6 December 2007 1:25:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Demos

If the State system was not so hopelessly flawed I and many others would probably agree you. The fact is that the State system has been hijacked by green worshippers and feminist. That is not a very attractive option even for many non believing parents. Many have voted with their feet not wanting the fruit of this philosophy poisoning the minds of their kids. I can't blame them.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 6 December 2007 7:01:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Demos

Your thread prompts a vague memory of mine when in the 60s in NSW, all private schools threatened to shut down and instruct their pupils to turn up at state schools for tuition. More than likely it was to do with insufficient government grants.

Since state school education systems at present are a mess, imagine thousands of private school kids enrolling en masse there. What a nightmare.

Therefore I am not opposed to recurring government grants for private school tuition. I believe it incurs the least stress on the public purse.

However, I am concerned over religious and special groups infiltrating and influencing members of our houses of parliament and receiving special favours and public money as a result of their "charity" status.

The multi-million dollar establishment, Hillsong, comes to mind. No doubt they are enjoying their tax-free status and the generous "plate" collections (cheque, credit card or cash) from their sycophantic, adoring parishioners.

Praise the Lord - hallelujah, hallelujah!
Posted by dickie, Friday, 7 December 2007 9:25:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I agree fully that politics and religion should never mix, the only way to safeguard this is to have athiest politicians. Then none would follow any religious agenda based on their own beliefs and convictions. The down side is that this would attract more leftists into politics.
Posted by Jack the Lad, Friday, 7 December 2007 12:00:39 PM
People upholding Christian or Islamic values could not allow their children to be indoctrinated in atheism. Atheism is just as harmful as any doctrine of human behaviour based in Theism or Buddahism. Examples are demonstrated in the former USSR, China and North Korea where the State endeavour to eradicate any form of faith other than Atheism.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 7 December 2007 11:01:24 PM
Demos it is simple and staright foward. Religion in politics is corruption. Religion is a politicalloy correct word for superstition and it goes against the role of a representitive in a democracy to enforce his or her taboo's and rituals onto innocent people.

I truley believe there is also an intellectual competence issue associated with politicians who allow their superstitious beliefs dominate their lives. We as a community would ask that somebody who suffers a mental illness who suffers delusions and hallucinations to step down as it would effect their capacity to do that job (unless it were controlled by medication). Yet the belief in God and the belief in stories such as those in the Bible or Quran or Hindu scripture is no different. How can a person be trusted to represent us when they listen to voices in their heads, look for signs in random patterns to make decisions or follow orders from ignorant priests who's job it is is to serve the interests of another organisation , a church?

Religious people will always dictate to others but will never listen and this has been strongly demonstrated by both religious leaders and leaders who are religious.

A persons superstition should not matter in private but religion rightfully is not tolerated in the workplace and it should not be tolerated in the political workplace.
Posted by West, Saturday, 8 December 2007 9:59:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy