The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Understanding Tiger Woods: finding the man behind the tiger > Comments

Understanding Tiger Woods: finding the man behind the tiger : Comments

By Peter West, published 13/1/2010

Tiger Woods has given the gossip magazines heaps of material over the usually-dull Christmas period.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Rich sports star gets caught sleeping with some of the many women that throw themselves at him.

The only surprise is that it took so long to come out.

If he wasn't married and selling the "settled family man" image, this would be a non story.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 13 January 2010 11:09:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Then again there are many women celebrities who have cut a respectable (maybe that was a poor choice of word) swath through Hollywood's leading men, hangers-on and anything with trousers. Some give score ratings on their lovers to magazines, including details of the man's 'package'. Now they even extend their conquests to other women, but no comments yet on gynaecological measurements and performance thank goodness.

Frankly I reckon it is balderdash that 'Men define themselves by sex. ...(or that).. sex is an undeniable mark of success for many men.'

This is society's expectation of men and most men resent the demand it places on them to be the relentless pursuer, ever-ready and always available for sex. Of course young men are more interested in sex but so are young women and in the bars and night spots it could be argued that women are often more the pursuers than the pursued.

The interest in Tiger comes from gossip columnists and women's magazines, where the stereotype of the 'love rat' is an oft-discussed topic. Most readers are completely oblivious to and probably uninterested in the fact that probably as many women as men cheat while in a serious relationship. Challenge such stereotypes and the whole reason for having the mag fades away.

Ask men about Tiger and they see him as an idiot - a respectable golfer but a fool who would mount anything. Few men find any respect for a man who cannot control his urges.

As for Tiger, since when did being a sports jock require anything much in the brains department? As for self-discipline, well maybe that was all used up on the golf course. Tiger, like the cricketer Warne, does not represent all or even many men. Maybe more might fantasise about loving more women but in the cold reality of day few would choose that path. Women have their fantasies too but it would be silly to judge them on that basis.

Peter West, maybe your view and stereotypes are a little dated.
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 13 January 2010 4:53:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tiger Woods came un-stuck with the public as he portrayed himself as one thing, whilst being another. If he had openly dated and slept with numerous women, he probably would still be sellable. Some men may even have been attracted to the playboy image, and women wouldn't have had to much sympathy for women who claimed that they were burnt emotionally by him, if he was a open and shameless philanderer.

By taking on board a wife and family though and running with that image he just appears as sorbid. Women who slept with him too, said he didn't use a condom. So apart from the numerous partners who slept with him though he was married, he put at risk his wife and unborn children at worst of a horrible death and that really is unforgivable.

Don't think he will be selling to much merchandise to women in future.
Posted by JL Deland, Thursday, 14 January 2010 7:50:56 AM
Cornflower:"The interest in Tiger comes from gossip columnists and women's magazines, where the stereotype of the 'love rat' is an oft-discussed topic. Most readers are completely oblivious to and probably uninterested in the fact that probably as many women as men cheat while in a serious relationship. Challenge such stereotypes and the whole reason for having the mag fades away."

Absolutely spot on.

JLDeland:"Don't think he will be selling to much merchandise to women in future."

The interesting thing is that you can make such a sweeping generalisation and that it is probably accurate. Women, especially those from the middle-class, do tend to have a remarkable capacity for "group think".

Whether Woods was married or not, it appears he was not sexually satisfied within his relationship. What is one to do in such a situation? Is polygamy a possible solution? What if he'd been in a long-term defacto relationship instead of a formal marriage; would that reduce the severity of the female response?

Throughout history people, especially powerful people, have sought extra-marital sex. Royal Courts were hotbeds of sexual intrigue and much of the history of the world is due directly to sexually-driven decisions.

Is it really so surprising that a powerful man like Woods should feel less than completely hemmed in by female middle-class values?
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 14 January 2010 8:36:39 AM
Not quite sure what the "female middle-class values" actually are Antiseptic, that you seem to think I have. My values are pretty standard for many men and women across Western society I think.

My problem isn't with a bloke or for that matter a woman (with any not exploited or coerced consenting adult) bonking where-ever they like and with whoever they like, in whatever numbers, combinations etc they like, my problem is with the dishonesty of someone like Tiger Woods who presents himself for profit as a family person, and also deceieved his spouse and put her and any unborn children in real danger.

If he found sexual dis-satisfaction in the relationship intolerable, he should have given her the option of a open marriage, or ending the relationship. If she was also dis-satisfied with him sexually then the same option should have been open to her. If she choose to stay, then I think the finger waving would be less at him as she could say she knew of his choices, and decided to overlook them.

Suspect my middle class partner would feel the same if I decided to play around. It wouldn't be the sex with someone else that would hurt him, though it would probably scare him that it would be the end of our relationship, it would be the betrayal if I was carrying on like he was the one and only which was part of the original arrangement. Nothing to middle class about that.
Posted by JL Deland, Thursday, 14 January 2010 9:10:20 AM
C'mmon guys,let's leave Tiger alone. So what if he was caught on the 13th hole or was it the 14th? Who knows best is Tiger. He's good enough to dig himself out of another hole that was a bad one. He's done it before and he may well do it again.So what? I bet all his critics would love to be where he's been.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Thursday, 14 January 2010 10:01:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy