The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Swiss vote to ban minarets > Comments

Swiss vote to ban minarets : Comments

By Paul Doolan, published 30/11/2009

On Sunday Swiss citizens, against all expectations, voted to ban the building of minarets that decorate mosques.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 40
  8. 41
  9. 42
  10. All
Good to see that Europe is beginning to shake off multiculturalism. Ireland and Denmark have started offering incentives for immigrants to return to their homelands, France has banned the Burka and now the Swiss have banned minarets. In Australia, we have to ask now what side of history do we want to be on - a failed multicultural state, or a proud, united Anglo-Christian powerhouse (with small minorites of other happy ethnicities)?

Also, it's vital that history records that it was a small minority of secular humanists who tried to inflict their poisonous Worldview on very content societies. These progressives should be held intellectual responsible for the difficulties that immigrants will face from now on.
Posted by TRUTHNOW78, Monday, 30 November 2009 12:20:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A classic example of the "tyranny of the majority", and a very good case of what's wrong with so-called Citizen Initiated Referenda.

Scary stuff indeed.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 30 November 2009 12:30:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not sure why that is so important. It has always been like that. All islamic countries ban christian churches. And if you dared to hum a chrismas song while walking on the footpath in Saudi Arabia you would go to jail, or worse.
Posted by renysol, Monday, 30 November 2009 1:02:21 PM
Scary indeed CJ Morgan.

I wonder what would be the outcomes if other European countries held similar referenda.

I doubt a similar referendum in Australia would get past.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 30 November 2009 1:07:03 PM
TRUTHNOW78 agree, multiculturalism is at best a joke, at worst the sell out of Australias founding fathers (and mothers).

Australia was never founded on the notion of “send me your huddled masses”

Assimilation, where individuals of differing ethnic and religious backgrounds progressive blend, usually through intermarriage of the second and third generations etc. is the solution which has worked for successful nations in the past and will work in the future.

Multiculturalism is just a sick attempt to deny the success of assimilation.

Renysol “All islamic countries ban christian churches. And if you dared to hum a chrismas song while walking on the footpath in Saudi Arabia you would go to jail, or worse.”

Until such excesses are abandoned, any expectation of unfettered promotion of their faith by Muslims is and always will be a complete hypocris
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 30 November 2009 2:12:45 PM
CJ "A classic example of the "tyranny of the majority", and a very good case of what's wrong with so-called Citizen Initiated Referenda.

Scary stuff indeed." You're making a joke right?

Yes, terrible isn't it - when tyranny of the minority is so much more desirable. /sarc

stevenlmeyer "I doubt a similar referendum in Australia would get past."

Why do you doubt that Steven, do you think that tolerence is so available in Australia?

For instance: you have CJ who is intolerent of other posters who do not agree with him, but wrings his hands at the injustices and the apparant intolerence of other countries, which turns out to be democracy of course, but let's not go there when we're pontificating.

I think a referendum like that in Australia would get up, many people feel let down and unrepresented by our successive big population governments who are overly welcoming to people who do not seem to integrate.

I feel sorry for all the European countries whose cultures are being diluted by people who when they arrived agreed to integrate, then do the exact opposite, no wonder the Swiss voted for this.

What's different here? The people in SW Sydney campaigned against a huge Islamic complex, because they felt disenfranchised by the process, many agree with them.

Maybe you need to take a good look around your own country?

I'm in Europe right now, people here think the Swiss are protecting their culture and heritage, there is no "outrage" at what has happened.
Posted by odo, Monday, 30 November 2009 2:32:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 40
  8. 41
  9. 42
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy