The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Knock, knock, who's there? Hopeful souls at every door > Comments

Knock, knock, who's there? Hopeful souls at every door : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 23/11/2009

The mass of humanity upon our Asian doorstep will come knocking wherever there is a door.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
"It's also an indication that as soon as there is a perception of a weak spot in the migration rules, you can bet knowledge of it spreads like wildfire." NO NO NO, didn't you hear that our PM and Foreign Affairs and Immigration ministers have all said it is nothing to do with what we do here, it is all to do with Push Factors elsewhere.

Surely you didn't intend to infer they might be liars?

Personally I agree that it is our Pull Factor not the Push Factor that is what drives people.

We have a government of liars, again, I guess it's what we deserve.

Though when the previous government lied, the MSM and civil rights and various other groups were incensed about it, now they find it's OK.

Lack of consistent values I guess.
Posted by odo, Monday, 23 November 2009 10:38:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An eminently sensible article Tanveer Ahmed. And well said odo.

Rudd’s watering down of border-protection policy was simply the stupidest political decision that I’ve ever witnessed (or second stupidest after his huge boost to immigration and his ‘big Australia’ never-ending population growth policy).

It just defied all logic. There was a policy that was working. It had virtually stopped all boats from coming, so just about no one was being affected by detention, TPVs, etc.

Then Rudd just put his foot in it in the most spectacular manner. It was dogsballsly obvious what it was going to lead to!

Well I hope all our politicians have learn their lesson now. I hope that they can see that we simply MUST have strong border protection and that onshore asylum seeking, the spruiking of dodgy courses and other routes for asylum seekers must be curtailed.

We can boost our humanitarian efforts by increasing international aid and better directing it at the sources of refugeeism. And we can considerably increase our refugee intake. But it just simply HAS to be under tight control.

There is enormous potential for a very large-scale movement of people trying to enter this country outside of our formal refugee and immigration channels. We cannot afford to be let misguided humanitarianism hijack the imperative to have strong border control.

In fact, the best level of humanitarianism that this country can provide would go hand in hand with strong border protection. If the Australian citizenry had faith that the borders were secure, then they’d be more amenable to a considerably increased offshore refugee program. But if boats keep coming and the fly-in route remains open, then they are going to get jack of the whole refugee deal, which would probably include overseas aid and offshore refugee programs as well.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 23 November 2009 11:18:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry our boats full - repel all borders.

We should only allow people in when we have the capacity to do so.

At the moment our country is stretched and we need to stabilise and become self sufficient and sustainable.

We already import fish, fruit and vegetables to meet our needs.
Posted by PeterA, Monday, 23 November 2009 11:57:34 AM
You are so right Peter A. Sustainability in Australia has got to come first.

An essential part of this is net zero immigration and the stabilisation of our population.

However, this should not preclude us having a big input into refugee issues. Even within a net zero immigration program there would be room to about double our current intake. That would be in the order of 25 000 refugees within an annual immigration program of about 30 000 (and zero onshore or fly-in asylum seekers).

I think that this would be the best balance between exercising our global responsibilities towards the betterment of humanity while also exercising our national responsibility to quickly become sustainable.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 23 November 2009 12:24:40 PM
Have to change the second verse of Advance Aust Fair...... "For those who come across the seas, we've boundless plains to share"
Posted by JonathanT, Monday, 23 November 2009 3:12:50 PM
"We already import fish, fruit and vegetables to meet our needs."

Yeah, I just can't go a day without Russian caviar, Israeli dates and - Jeez, we don't bloody import vegetables unless they're in tins. Pickled walnuts? Who wrote this?

You've really got to sharpen up as this is silly.

Food isn't the issue. It's whether you want people from other nations to live here. If you don't - raise the drawbridge of Fortress Australia now. If you do, lets work together rather than being frightened rabbits.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 23 November 2009 3:14:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy