The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's obligation as a developed nation > Comments

Australia's obligation as a developed nation : Comments

By K.C. Boey, published 29/10/2009

Australia needs to rise above the question of border security and take into account its obligations as a developed nation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I'm sorry I don't know the author.

Probably not peculiar to Aussie.
-

G'Day and welcome to a brand new edition of :

' ASYLUM '.
Today's program features another chance to take part in our exciting competition:

Hop on a boat

And win

A COUNCIL HOUSE !

We've already given away hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of dream homes, courtesy of our sponsor,

The Australian Taxpayer.

And don't forget, we're now the fastest growing game on the planet.

Anyone can play, provided they don't already hold a valid AustralianPassport, and you only need one word of English:

' ASYLUM '

Prizes include all-expenses-paid accommodation, cash benefits starting at $800 a week and a chance to earn thousands more begging, mugging and
accosting drivers at traffic lights.

This competition is open to everyone
buy a ticket to Indonesia

And catch the first available boat.

No application ever refused - reasonable or unreasonable.

All you have to do is destroy all your papers or burn your boat once you

Enter Australian waters and remember the magic password:

' ASYLUM '

(Continued)
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 29 October 2009 11:33:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A few years ago, 140 members of the Taliban family from Afghanistan were flown Goat Class from Kabul to Indonesia’s gateway where agents were on hand to fast-track them to their boat trips to luxury accommodation.

They joined tens of thousands of other lucky winners already staying in hotels all over Australia

Our most popular destinations also include the Baxter’s reef and the world famous Christmas Island resort. If you still don't understand the rules, don't forget, there's no need to phone a friend or ask the audience ... Just apply for legal aid.

Hundreds of lawyers, social workers and counsellors are waiting to help.

It won't cost you a penny.

It could change your life forever.

So play today.

Iraqi terrorists, Afghan dissidents, Albanian gangsters, pro-Pinochet
activists, anti-Pinochet activists, Kosovan drug-smugglers, Tamil tigers,
bogus Bosnians, Rwandan mass murderers, Somali guerrillas...

COME ON DOWN!

Get along to Indonesia

Get along to the fishing ports

Don't stop in Thailand or Bali

Go straight to Australia

And you are:

GUARANTEED

to be one of tens of thousands of lucky winners in the easiest game on earth.

Everyone's a winner, when they play

' ASYLUM '

That probaby sums up the reasons for the opposition.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 29 October 2009 11:35:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
VKU what ever. and others

More ill informed scare mongering. Pity there isn't a lot of fact in the hyperbole. Just a jingoistic jaundiced view.

One point the author missed was that types like views as expressed in addition to the above flaws they show an underlying principal. To find a scape goat some one to blame for their fears. particularly of ANY change or they might be missing out on something.

Objectively, what is so great about anglo saxon or white? Perhaps, that they are paternalistic self interested wanna be elitists like every other racial colour or hue. Get over your self.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 29 October 2009 12:12:34 PM
He's at it again. Has Examinator ever posted something in which he does not accuse those who disagree with him, & his fellow bleeders of being "ill informed"? I think not.

He must be a wonderful bloke, to be always right, always know everything, at least in his eyes.

Personally I'm sick of all these do-gooders who want me to pay for their conscience. I wonder what dreadful things they have done for theirs to need so much massaging.

I feel no obligation to a people who started, & lost a very nasty war. I fell less than no oblication to those who have funds to pay people smugglers, after that war. I have to wonder where those funds came from.

Now if Mr Boey, & Examinator feel so obliged to these people, I suggest they sponsor one, & PERSONALLY pay for their expenses until they are self supporting, if ever. Personally, I can think of at least one hundred thousand better uses for my money. Can't think of many worse, actually.

We always have other do-gooders crying that we don't have enough public housing in Oz, for our "deserving" people, as it is, so why fill it up with these failed warmongers?

From what we have seen on the news of these people, they would be about the last we would want living here.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 29 October 2009 1:12:52 PM
Politics is a fickle mistress, and you are only as good as your last mistake.

John Howard learnt this with work choices after labor painted it as the big bogey.

What is patently clear is that a strong majority of the Aus public is dead set against asylum seekers coming in by boat. The polls vary from 65% to 85% on taking stronger action.

Irrespective of the moral arguments, Rudd has given Turnbull an openning, and the coalition has stuck the knife in and twisted it, both on being too soft, and the poor treatment of those in detention in Indonesia. What is worse for Rudd, is that it is capturing the attention of the public who percieve this as being soft and incompetent. The stellar majority that labor holds could rapidly evaporate before November 2010. It is probably one of the best examples of wedge politics I have seen for years.

Listening to the parliamentry debate there is a huge focus on immigration, and it is clear that Rudd has no answers, is twisting in the wind, and Turnbull is not going to cut him any slack.

Until these issues are resolved, it would be suicidal for labor to even contemplate any further relaxations.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 29 October 2009 1:43:16 PM
I do not understand, nobody is against refugees coming here. By boat across dangerous seas, emotional backmail for the richer asylum seekers, the expectation of rescue. We are simply not geographically located to morally support this type of passage.

I feel we can take a lot more but the debate is never about that. It seems to offend those that live by TV screens and celebrity culture and think it is Australian Refugee Idol and they barrack for their favourite contestant. So many more face a far harsher reality. Just because they do not get media they are not important? That is what you are saying. Very omplex issues and complete ignorance of the reality of border security..

For eg You say just ask an Aboriginal..

Why don't you ask them, they may not appreciate a boat load of asylum seekers washing up on their Islands and bringing ashore diseases..once again. So yes, go ask them. Please.
Posted by TheMissus, Thursday, 29 October 2009 2:53:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy