The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rudd’s second year > Comments

Rudd’s second year : Comments

By Leon Bertrand, published 5/10/2009

It’s fair to conclude that up to now the Rudd Government has promised everything but delivered next to nothing.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
This approach to political "leadership" - do nothing but promise everything with great flourishes of non-meaningful activity - is the same script being followed by Obama. Both elected leaders desperately want to be loved by all and to please everyone.

Both have very thin skin and consequently will go to great pains to avoid criticism but have no problems handing out great gobs of it particularly to the previous government. Apparently they both have a very juvenile attitude where they believe they will raise themselves up to look better the more crap they throw on their critics.

This is not surprising since Rudd and Obama share the same left wing political consulting firm in the US.
Posted by Bruce, Monday, 5 October 2009 11:58:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rudd is a polititian, like ANY other polititian from ANY party. They all promise the earth to get elected then give nothing but spin in return.
So what's new? Haven't you worked that out yet? DUHHH...
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 5 October 2009 1:09:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not an economist, but I have read Orwell. Even so, I feel in need of instruction to decipher the real meaning of "stimulus". As a term in the vocabulary of economists it is very recent. I suspect it is feel-good word covering something a little less attractive. But no-one I've seen has had anything to say about this. Surely in a nation where paranoia is a normal personality trait, somebody somewhere must also have felt this to be a suspicious technical term. My first efforts at decoding go somewhat along the following lines. If the government runs up an enormous debt, that debt is guaranteed by the general (tax-paying) public. That public will therefore have to work very hard and pay LOTS of taxes, in order to meet payments due. The government is therefore in a strongly augmented power position, because it can crack the whip and we must jump.

Much the same virtue seems to inhere in the ETS. My understanding of the ETS is that it will not reduce carbon emissions by one jot or tittle, but it will increase the price of everything, with the government poised to market energy resources in order to obtain the revenues from taxing them. with the profits from carbon emissions a new source of government revenue.
Posted by veritas, Monday, 5 October 2009 2:48:34 PM
Veritas you are 100% correct.It is a con job.Both the Corp and Govt want it.It is just another derivative ponzi scheme.If carbon is so toxic then leave it in the ground.No! They want to mine increasing amounts of it and add a tax and establish a new share market derivative to profit from.

I bet they won't agree to my proposal.If we are going to have a tax on carbon,then all the money collected goes towards developing alternate clean energy and giving cheap solar to all tax payers.

Watch them cough and splutter at this proposal,since the minority elites won't benefit.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 5 October 2009 4:54:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TO Arjay and Veritas "Hear Hear "
Posted by ShazBaz001, Monday, 5 October 2009 5:32:27 PM
Thus is the nature of politics.

For interest, the GetUp site runs PromiseWatch and keeps a tally on some of the promisies made pre-election.

http://getup.org.au/promisewatch/

Rudd has made a decent effort in some areas but has failed on some big vote winning promises to veterans, pensioners and minimum wage earners. Very un-Labor like. I am not sure the ALP is much better than the Coalition in some areas of IR and yet still rides on the claim of supporting the working class and social justice.

A sign of our neo-Liberal times which includes the privatisation and transfer of ownership of public entities to the private sector in the naive assumption of better service and efficiencies. I drove down to the East Coast yesterday and could not get coverage with Optus on various stretches of road for about 40 or more km in NSW - not in the outback. Despite mobile towers in sight - just not my provider. What a waste of resources when we could all benefit from better service rather than seeing one hill with three different mobile towers - madness.

Agree with veritas and Arjay for a change on the impotence of an ETS to actually have any real effect on emissions.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 5 October 2009 6:34:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy