The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Afghan dress code > Comments

Afghan dress code : Comments

By Sasha Uzunov, published 30/9/2009

Journalists in Afghanistan face a dilemma: if they criticise local customs they are arrogant; if they remain silent they are endorsing mistreatment.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I belong to the school of thought that suggests, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Having said that might I also make the following observation. It seems to me that those people who come to Australia from countries like Afghanistan or other Middle eastern countries, in general are the ones who insist on wearing their traditional garb in our country and yet back in their own country they are also the ones who would insist on us dressing according to their traditions. They are the ones who seem to have a double standard.

Should we be so tolerant?

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 12:58:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A good article, filling out the cultural picture of the current far off war where Australian soldiers are steadily dying.

When Sophie McNeill asks "So what, exactly, are we fighting for?" I don't think anyone harbours the expectation that it is for democracy, woman's liberation, or the general betterment of the lives of Afghani's.

Countries fight for national self interest. With the US fighting to prevent Afghanistan returning to al Qaida training ground status and giving the American military a job. Which leaves Pakistan and other Muslim nations as partial training grounds but not as useful as Afghanistan.

Naturally 1,500 Australians would not be there...

...without US Alliance concerns our foremost consideration.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 5:39:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, there are the practical considerations i.e. if females don't cover up, then they are likely to be raped in a number of parts of the world.

The "Right or the Wrong" of it does not come it. It is a practical reality in some places at this point in time.

The misguided comments of a formerly high profile Australian Muslim when comparing Ozzie Beach Babes to "unclad pieces of meat" holds a very serious lesson in it for some would be back packers and that is, if you strut about in some regions of the world as you would do in Oz, then you are at a seriously heightened risk of attracting sexual predators.

In principle though, I would have to agree with the comments regarding "double standards." Respect has to be earned, not demanded.
I.m.o. as it is reasonable for others to expect to be able to practice their religion of choice, also the right of others not to practice it should be equally respected. So no, I don't want to wear anything on my head. No I don't want to wear heavy, black clothes in a hot place etc etc.

As said on many occasions, some religious and or traditional people seek to inflict their believes on others whether they like it or not

AND

that, again i.m.o. is one step too far.

To which I often "hear" the catch cry of the parochial individual, "well if you don't like it then f.off coz this is "our" country!"

Hmmm .. parochial locals who demand conformity from others and who are only ever happy when they're getting their own way are a problem everywhere in the world where they are found.
Posted by DreamOn, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 9:18:38 PM
How about, if you want us to help rebuild your "country," if it can be called that, or if you want us to bring our tourist dollars to your country, wherever that may be, then afford "us" and our believes and culture as much respect as you afford your own.

Maybe the problem in Afghanistan is that we are trying to build on a foundation of "quick sand" and we should just abolish any attempts at allowing them to self govern for now and shackle them to the cross of internationally acceptable norms until they prove themselves otherwise.

Of course, (talk about throwing petrol on the fire,) that also would likely attract an ever increasing flood of "insurgents" but however

Had to laugh watching a doco inside Guantanomo Bay in the last month or so. There were the guards all located centrally in a corridor of max security cells, with one offering a drink through a hatch in the door. And the inmate screams out:

"You bad guys, I asked for a drink hours ago and only now you give it to me when the camera is on. When we started, *Al Quaida* was but 500, and now we are thousands and thousands. You are welcome, very welcome!"

.. or something like that.

No disrespect meant to anyone, but some of the exchanges really had a quite comic side to it all and reminded me of another doco with Turks and Ozzies exchanging dates and other rations between the trench lines.

Genetically we are one big family and yet in so many other ways, we are so terribly fragmented.
Posted by DreamOn, Wednesday, 30 September 2009 9:37:45 PM
"It seems to me that those people who come to Australia from countries like Afghanistan or other Middle eastern countries, in general are the ones who insist on wearing their traditional garb in our country and yet back in their own country they are also the ones who would insist on us dressing according to their traditions. They are the ones who seem to have a double standard."

Exactly. The next time someone is detained in a Moslem country for wearing shorts and a t-shirt the Australian government should send off a strongly worded protest pointing out that this garb is imposed upon us by our cultural and religious tradition and should be treated with veneration and respect.

What are the odds of Kevin doing that, do you think?
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 1 October 2009 6:41:15 AM
We should respect their culture (however much we may disagree) and abide by their customs. One journalist or tourist standing up against the system by deliberately not adhering to the nations laws will change nothing. Political influence and guidance will go much further than a rogue reporter
Posted by PeteBRFC, Thursday, 1 October 2009 9:48:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy