The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Liberals - whither goest thou? > Comments

Liberals - whither goest thou? : Comments

By Des Moore, published 24/9/2009

Indecisiveness and a focus on the short term has produced doubt in Opposition ranks about what the party stands for.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
This is just too rich. Des Moore runs an institute called the Institute for Private Enterprise whose purpose is to "to promote the cause of private enterprise and to argue for a reduction in the role of government". I've always wondered why markets need defending if they are as natural a part of human social life as neo-liberals seem to think they are.

But get this. He argues for small government on the basis of an employment history during which "he worked for 28 years in the Commonwealth Treasury, including five years as one of three Deputy Secretaries".

What, you mean he now believes in small government because he understands how unproductive his days in treasury were?

Too much.
Posted by anthonykn, Thursday, 24 September 2009 2:19:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can it be? I had to read twice to confirm, and I can scarcely believe it still, but looks as though Des Moore has actually allowed readers to know he runs a Righ-wing lobby business, the IPE.

His usual MO is to send letters to newspapers as humble Des Moore of South Yarra, a private citizen who's so impressed with the Liberals' Dickensian policies that he felt compelled to write.

After all, if people knew he profits by boosting the interests of business, they might be justly cynical about his comments.
Posted by Sancho, Thursday, 24 September 2009 2:46:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy