The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Doing 'family' via the internet > Comments

Doing 'family' via the internet : Comments

By Maggie Walter, published 23/9/2009

The paradox of doing 'family' in an e-world means more communication but less togetherness.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
It is so true that technology has replaced genuine human contact and communication through time together. I think this has led to a feeling of distance from each other and a lack of emotional closeness. We view pictures of disasters and violence around the world and become desensitised. So also emotionally we distance ourselves from each other and there is no sense of feeling each others pain. We can deal with it by distance communication. I think in time this disconnection will result in a feeling of anomie which may be the reason for the increasing suicide rates and parasuicidal behaviour especially amongst our teenagers. One must actively make time to be together to reverse this trend as it is avoidant behaviour to sit in front of a computer and communicate. Some people find it difficult to communicate through video calls now because the facial presence is too threatening. It is easier to communicate without pictures! One needs to keep the balance always before we all become automatons and unconsciously live our lives till we get a wake up call. How easy it is to be tranquilised into a world of make belief through technology.
Posted by jeshua, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 9:53:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that the techno world allows us to stay in touch.

Ironically the internet gives us the scope to make wide ranging initial contacts. We end up with a lot of data feeds (you can't even call them acquaintances). We then gorge on the data feeds. It's easy, cheap and doesn't require even getting off your arse and out of your bedroom. It provides novelty if you have the attention span of a flea on LSD.

Is the incidence of asperger's syndrome and autism really increasing or is it just that we are breeding a population that doesn't know how to interact on a face to face basis?

Might this have something to do with the reportedly increasing level of violence in social settings such as nightclubs?

The internet was invented by people with minimal social/emotional skills and we, the people in the world with good social skills, like it because it saves us having to make an effort.

How sad.
Posted by Baxter Sin, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 10:19:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is no substitute for in-person contact. The full five senses can be used to talk, to see, to smell, hear and to feel. Interent contact is a poor-relation in comparison and leaves a feeling of emptiness. Give me a pub, a pint and some good company any day. Or even a walk through the forests with good company to chat - far more stimulating than a screen and a some agitated electrical impulses.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 3:31:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My family has embraced cyberspace with a passion. My family has flown the nest, but e-world enables us to communicate in ways undreamt of only a few years ago. It has also connected us to the world.

Through MSN, Facebook and email we keep in regular touch with my son working in London. Haven’t done the Skype thing yet, but that is on the agenda. I play online games with my other son, family and friends, and make new international friends at the same time.

Cyberspace does not replace face-to-face contact for our family members, but without a doubt, it provides opportunities to increase our contact, providing new and enriched ways of communicating.
Posted by Suziekue, Monday, 28 September 2009 11:25:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy