The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Between China and India: is Tibet the wedge or the link? > Comments

Between China and India: is Tibet the wedge or the link? : Comments

By George Yeo, published 17/9/2009

In Tibet, reconciling faith with the forces of globalisation remains the challenge.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I wish to add to this comment.
During the Cultural Revolution, Tibetan youths, following Chinese youths in other parts of the country, engaged in an orgy of destruction. Since then, as in the rest of China, monasteries and temples have been restored or rebuilt, often to a state better than what they were before, although some precious artefacts were lost forever. Without land and serfs, these places can only be sustained with the patronage of the Chinese state.

I have visited China a number of times in recent years. I have seen the rebuilding of Buddhist monasteries and other religious temples. The Chinese state has allowed these properties to become entrepreneurial businesses, catering especially to Chinese tourists and to a lesser extent Western tourists. The entry fee and other sales has allowed many of these ventures to become prosperous. This income is paying for some remarkable restorations. Never have I seen religion so commercialized as in China.
Posted by Country girl, Thursday, 17 September 2009 11:25:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy