The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dark clouds gather over coal’s future > Comments

Dark clouds gather over coal’s future : Comments

By David Spratt, published 11/9/2009

Already 'carbon capture and storage', badged as 'clean coal' technology, is stumbling.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I don't think there will be any reduction in coal burning beyond a general economic slowdown. Hazelwood power station has got as much chance of being demolished as Uluru. Politicians have shown themselves to be fundamentally dishonest over promised carbon cuts. The growth in renewable energy in Australia is snail paced and in any case there is considerable doubt whether RE significantly reduces emissions; see for example the BraveNewClimate website. What could make inroads into coal emissions is gas fired generation or nuclear. Since the latter is unacceptable to Australia's elites I guess we will burn more gas for electricity, paying higher and higher prices to compete with LNG exports.

The pollies have had a wonderful few years telling us clean coal is the answer. The recent debunking on Four Corners will be lost on them. I think their next big excuse for coal inaction will be something like the PNG forest scam which should delay things for a couple more years. Of course they could save a lot of jet fuel by not bothering to go to Copenhagen. I doubt it though.
Posted by Taswegian, Friday, 11 September 2009 9:59:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fact is that Governments cannot make any decision which threaten
the lights to go out. No Govt would survive it.

I read an interesting article recently with the head of Origin and
he seems to think that we will slowly switch to gas, install more
wind etc, but coal will remain as a backup, as these other sources
of power are increased.

So present coal fired stations will remain, but work less hours.

The thing is, as we switch to gas, etc, it will cost 5-6 times
more, so who is going to pay?

Everyone wants everyone else to pay!

Companies won't pay, they simply won't produce power, if it does
not pay to do so. Consumers seemingly don't want to pay either.

Consumers might well be calling for the shutdown of coal fired
power stations, but are they ready to pick up the bill for doing
so?

I doubt it.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 11 September 2009 11:14:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was on a Tuesday afternoon in winter that the protesters finally achieved success and all the coal-fired power plants in the State were shut down.

Trams and trains stopped running immediately, of course, and those without bicycles and cars had to walk home through the gathering dusk. Some who were low on petrol abandoned their cars at the side of the road on the way after finding that the electric-powered fuel pumps in the petrol stations were now permanently disabled. Most of them made it home eventually, and were able to contrive a cold meal from the rotting leftovers in the fridge and freezer before wrapping themselves in blankets and huddling around their candles for light and warmth. A lucky few were able to fire up their laptops on battery power, only to discover that the Internet was down forever and they had no way to communicate their jubilation over their victory. As the last torches, screens and lamps flickered out, some of them began to wonder whether they had actually done the right thing...

Welcome to the Stone Age, everyone! The lynchings start tomorrow!
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 11 September 2009 12:59:10 PM
Jon J
Yes I know your post was a joke but just in case someone is worried then they need not be.
You can get enough electricity to work most things from your car battery.
Buy a hundred dollar inverter to make the voltage you want.
It can supply the petrol station pumps as well.(At least the one you want to use.)
Posted by undidly, Friday, 11 September 2009 7:00:52 PM
David, you don't have to worry about coal mate.

We will still be burning it, to warm our lives, long after the IPCC, the UN, & the AGW scam are a seldom remembered blot on the pages of history.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 12 September 2009 9:43:30 PM
Last year in Queensland coal royalties were in the realm of 1.2 b and subsidies 1.7b. Nationally, we give around 10b a year in subsidies to fossil fuel use. If you want to know how to pay for the transition to clean energy, there's an easy answer.
Posted by next, Sunday, 13 September 2009 8:32:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy