The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > HR - What is it good for? Absolutely nothing > Comments

HR - What is it good for? Absolutely nothing : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 13/8/2009

Human Resources management is the butterfly-killing jar for our best and brightest minds.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Absolutely spot on! I applied for a TAFE job - with lengthy time spent responding to selection criteria, phone interview, giving permission for a police check; thinking that I had the job, I moved 2500 kms only to find TAFE went quiet. I finally weedled it out of HR that they had advertised the position without guaranteed funding for it. The Fed govt gave their funding to another service provider. No apologies for any inconvenience, no reassurance that should a suitable position be advertised in the future, that they would inform me...nothing. Clever country - what a bad joke, mediocrity rules. Don't bother to get qualified (unless its economics/business) because a BA Dip Ed (now you need a cert IV!), MA(Qual) and a PhD apparently quals aren't worth the paper they are written - ageism & 'overqualified' seems to be the interminable response.
Posted by Bundarra, Thursday, 13 August 2009 11:14:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a bizarre post. To the extent it says anything of substance, it applies to managers in general ... or does the author think HR staff come from some peculiarly prejudiced segment of the population and discriminate in employment just to spite the boss? He also seems to think that HR = recruitment, which reveals a woeful ignorance of the function he's purporting to write about.

Truly weird.
Posted by Ken_L, Thursday, 13 August 2009 12:27:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I know what he's writing about and he didn't go in hard enough!

Never, ever call HR is there's a workplace problem. If you do, you're dead in the water. If ever you want action, don't call HR. They are blockers. If you've ever had a good idea, don't tell HR - they will squash it.

Remember the Barbara Streisland song "Human Resources, who need human resources are the luckiest human resources in the world."

Alas, the people who think stories like this are 'weird', work for human resources.

Human resources exist to house people who never quite made it to management.
Posted by Cheryl, Thursday, 13 August 2009 1:07:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Malcolm, if you still believe that HR's sole function is recruitment, then I suggest you stick to a subject you know something about.

Like Snuggies.

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=9058

Much more your speed, I think.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 13 August 2009 1:21:02 PM
HR should be done by the management team. The reaction to the student problem was handled by the correct person in the correct manner, it was never the HR departments work. They should only provide the legal advice. That it went so far was actually Malcom's fault for not taking the matter in hand previously, and so far from expecting praise he should get a kick up the Rs.

An HR team's purpose is to:

-Formulate HR policy to ensure that company practices comply with the convoluted and ever changing legal systems,
-Provide oversight and advice for recruitment, job specifications and discipline.
-Keep confidential records.

This article was written from a position of ignorance and false expectations.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 13 August 2009 2:19:26 PM
Okay, I get that the author is against HR, and I'm not against anyone against HR although the article could have been more focused. Does the author have any suggestions or is he against stuff?

I have no particular quibble with HR people as such, but I detest certain HR procedures carried out by management such as performance reviews. Don't get me started on performance reviews...
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 13 August 2009 2:42:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy