The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No wonder people try to get out of jury duty > Comments

No wonder people try to get out of jury duty : Comments

By Katy Barnett, published 10/8/2009

State governments should compensate jurors more adequately for the creditable and difficult job they undertake.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Being a self-employed sole trader I also found jury service to be both disruptive and costly to my business. However as I have only been called up once in my 59 years, I accepted my month in the jury pool as my civic duty.
During this time I served on 2 juries – one ran for 2 weeks and the other aborted after an hour!
I found the experience to be both positive and broadening, it improved my understanding of and respect for jurors and the jury system.
My only criticism is the excessive time it takes for matters to go to trial (2-3 years), I believe this undermines the veracity of the testimony of witnesses, and makes it more difficult for the jury to reach a finding beyond reasonable doubt.
Posted by Peterm, Monday, 10 August 2009 10:39:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not usually in agreement with lawyers but Legal Eagle has a point, and it is one of the issues that Kevin Rudd must address as a Christian Prime Minister. As a Christian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd must understand that we can only ever have one Almighty God and that Almighty God is the one mentioned in the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900. To serve Almighty God a person must serve on a jury to ensure that the Judge in the case does not commit blasphemy. Because it is a Christian duty, remuneration is a Commonwealth responsibility, and is addressed in Sections 40 and 41 of the Federal Court of Australia Act 1976 .

The Commonwealth Parliament has appropriated the money to pay jurors. By reference to S 64 of the Judiciary Act 1903 it is the right of every juror to sue the Commonwealth in tort for underpayment for jury service. The pretence by the States that they are a Sovereign Entity, is a matter that should be addressed by the newly appointed Minister for Home Affairs, as a matter of urgency, and every trial where the State alleges Sovereignty, as in every State Criminal matter, it is a presumption that the State can create a new citizenship, and impose its will upon Australians.

This is gangster rule, and is addressed by the Criminal Code Act 1995 but until Brendan O’Connor replaced the former New South Wales Attorney General as Minister, there was no will in the Commonwealth to enforce the provisions of the Criminal Code Act 1995 as laws of the Commonwealth against the biggest gang of criminals in Australia who are the legal profession.

The legal profession supplies the Judge and Magistrate in every trial, and the lack of a jury in Court means that S 2 of the Judiciary Act 1903 is immediately activated, and any further proceeding is an appeal. The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights is law, in Australia, and juries must be adequately remunerated for serving the Commonwealth. The Constitution says there must be judges, in S 79
Posted by Peter the Believer, Thursday, 13 August 2009 10:18:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The lack of universal jury trial as a right in Australia has been addressed by the Criminal Code Act 1995. When it came into effect on the 16th October 2001, it made every Judge and Magistrate in Australia into a criminal, and reproduced the prohibition on being a Judge, contained in the Holy Bible in the form of a Statute, binding on the courts judges and people of every State notwithstanding anything in the laws of any State.

The exclusive brethren who have created their own religion in Australia to replace the originally enacted Constitution of Australia which incorporates Christianity into the fabric of the law, have been caught out and made clear criminals by the Parliament of the Commonwealth, which enacted the Criminal Code Act 1995. These exclusive brethren, are the Judges and Magistrates and no Parliament anywhere can create a new religion. This was clearly prohibited to every Parliament by S 116 Constitution, and is now clearly prohibited by S 268:10 and 268:12 Criminal Code Act 1995, which makes it a criminal offence to sit without a jury.

Juries must be adequately paid as public servants for their services. I would suggest that instead of paying a Judge $6000 a week, the court should pay every juror at least $300 a day to serve, and reduce the salaries paid to a Judge, from $6,000 a week to a reasonable $1500 the same as any other judge under the Constitution. Five days by $300 a day should be the base pay, of a Judge with a further $300 for every trial day. The Commonwealth should make court service pay tax free like they have exempted the High Court from Taxation.

The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights enacted as law in 1986, is evidenced as law by making it a criminal offence to disobey by S 268:12 Criminal Code Act 1995. How long can the courts continue to discriminate. Every judge should be paid the same rate. Brendan O’Connor as a former union official should undertstand the principle of a fair days pay for a fair days work
Posted by Peter the Believer, Thursday, 13 August 2009 11:00:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy