The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What-not-to-wear imperialism > Comments

What-not-to-wear imperialism : Comments

By Alice Aslan, published 20/7/2009

The West needs to understand that Muslim women don’t need a nanny and can look after themselves.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
The issues you raise are complex, within the context of a complex and many sided debate. I feel the crux of what you write is said here:

"This attitude is embedded in a worldview based on hectic activism of saving and liberating others that requires a constant supply of victims."

I agree, when people form positions on issues, it is generally saying more about their worldview than about the topic of debate. Few people actually take the time to study and understand the complexities of a subject unless they are a serious academic like yourself.

Politicians unfortunately do not need to play to an audience of academics. Their audience is a wider public many of whom hold shared worldviews that can easily be manipulated by their leaders; including the one you have encapsulated in the quote above, which no doubt leaves most people with a nice warm feeling inside, satisfied that they are on the side of good and right.

Yet all around us every day in what ever society there are so many instances of individuals not respecting others or each other; which is what you are asking political leaders and others to give to Muslim women who choose to wear the burqua: respect; along with equal opportunity and the power to make their own decisions.
Posted by JanF, Monday, 20 July 2009 10:17:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't give a flying 'beep' what Islamic women wear in their wonderful idyllic Moslem sharia law countries (which far too many of them are trying to escape - what does that say?)

However, here in MY Country:
#I don't want a walking tent entering my business premises.
#I don't want to communicate with a sheet with eyes behind a strip of flyscreen.
#I don't want to be on the road with another vehicle where the driver seems drunk or drugged and when I get alongside see it is being driven by a black blanket which obviously is having difficulties seeing the road. 3 small children in the car with it as well.
Here in MY Country:
#Criminals cover their faces to conceal their identity.
#OUR Culture dictates that we communicate 'face to face'

I have no issue whatsoever with Muslim women wearing headscarfs and full body covering if that is what they believe. I feel sympathy for them sometimes in the hot northern climate - especially when they are accompanied by menfolk dressed in shorts, short sleeve shirt and sandals. Makes me wonder what's going on - whether the lady is very devout and the man is not or whether he dictates she cover up but he doesn't have to?? Bet in many cases it is the latter ....

No Ms Guzeldeniz - Moslem women do not need a nanny. They just need to know what is CULTURALLY APPROPRIATE in the Society to which they migrate and adjust accordingly.
Posted by divine_msn, Monday, 20 July 2009 10:21:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Nursel, from your photo, I assume you don't wear a burqa...thankyou for encouraging the continued debasement of women...

What is next? Support for Sati because to oppose it would be 'imperialistic'?
Posted by Grey, Monday, 20 July 2009 10:29:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I just checked and sati appears to be a Hindu practice.
Posted by JanF, Monday, 20 July 2009 10:32:34 AM
The arrogance of the imperialists did see the imposition of their cultures with some negative consequences. However, it did also see the abolition of canabalism, slavery, and infanticide amongst others.

From what I have read, the wearing of the burqua has more to do with what the woman's family and peers want than what the woman wants.

The banning of the burqua enables more women to wear what they want than allowing it.

That it is a symbol of oppression is another separate factor.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 20 July 2009 11:46:30 AM
WTF?

Any form of submission means giving your need for power to someone else.

Are Muslim women submitting to their god or to some bizarre tribal custom?

The need to be seen (or in this case not seen)
in a tribal costume and the need to mutilate the
genitals of female babies have nothing to do with religion
and a lot to do with control.

When you actually believe that are freely
choosing what is someone else’s system of control
you have no freedom.
Posted by WTF?, Monday, 20 July 2009 1:27:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy