The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Asian elephant in Australia’s room > Comments

The Asian elephant in Australia’s room : Comments

By Nicholas Goodwin, published 21/7/2009

Efforts to improve Australia’s engagement with Asia have been given a boost with the release of a new strategy by the Griffith Asia Institute.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
One way to boost Asian languages is to ensure that every child has access to a high speed internet connection, not just in rich city schools but across the country.

I agree. One of my granddaughters living in a country town, was a gifted and talented child according to the Qld Education Department. She chose to study Mandarin as an elective subject at the age of 15. She did so as an external student of the University of Southern Queensland in Toowoomba. She is now in her second year at UQ undertaking a double degree in Commerce and Chinese studies. During the Queensland summer holidays she has been accepted to do 3 months immersion in the Mandarin language to continue her studies at a university in Taiwan.
Posted by Country girl, Tuesday, 21 July 2009 12:24:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One resource overlooked is the thousands of international students currently studying in Australia, many of them native speakers of Asian languages.

For the past nine years I have been hosting young people, many of them university graduates in their home countries, as WWOOFers, Willing Workers on Organic Farms. These are frequently in Australia to study English and after 3 months at a language school seek immersion in an Australian household to continue practice of the language. Recently I have had young men and women from Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.
Although I don't seek to learn these languages, I have learned much about the culture of these countries.
If a family meets the criteria to become a WWOOF host - see www.wwoof.com.au I would recommend hosting these young people as a way of exposing their children to these Asian cultures and languages.
Posted by Country girl, Tuesday, 21 July 2009 12:33:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I learned Indonesian in high school and was pleasantly surprised when it came in handy while holidaying in Malaysia.
We are getting there, despite the Anglo-centric Howard years.
One thing I've learned is that Asia and the rest of the world has a thing or two to learn from Australian culture too. We should never forget that we are one of the worlds preferred destinations for good reasons. Not all of it is lucky history, some of it amounts to...how to put it...civilisation techniques.
We should not dilute our positive gains just for the goal of becomming more multi-cultural.
Posted by Ozandy, Tuesday, 21 July 2009 4:08:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nicholas

Australians connected with Asia since before Federation. Why do you think we haven't? Take a look at the development of Australian diplomatic relationships with Asia since federation, especially the massive connections made during Menzies time. Read and become informed Nicholas. You've been fed rubbish that suggests it is only Labor and their inanities that foster links with Asia.

Which Australian PM was the first to state our future was not with Europe but with our northern neighbours?

Robert Menzies.

Which Australian Foreign Minister deliberately oversaw our first massive connection with Asia?

Lord Casey.

With which Country, as it obtained independence, did Australia have a massive falling out immediately following WW2?

Indonesia.

Geoff Whitlam recognised China but that led nowhere as it was seen as opportunistic and disdained by the Communist Chinese who only a few years earlier had been prepared to fight against Australian diggers who were assisting the Nationalist Chinese fight the Japanese invaders...in China

Which Australian PM and Treasurer initiated trade and cultural relationship with Japan after WW2?

Malcom Frazer and John Howard.

Which Australian PM's developed Australian respect throughout SE Asian countries by supporting South Vietnam?

Menzies, Holt, Gorton etc

Which Australian PM hurt those developing relationships by abandoning South Vietnam and running off to embrace the communist Chinese who were seen by SE Asian countries as a threat to their security?

Geoff Whitlam.

Under which PM did developing relationships with China most suffer?
Bob Hawke... why? Go figure...

Under which PM did our developing relationship with Malaysia suffer most damage.

Paul Keating.

In the last 20 years which Australian PM has done more to promote relations with China and who has caused most damage.

In order, John Howard is regardly highly by the Chinese and Rudd is disdained to the point of having lost all face in China.

Do you see a pattern here?

It's us presenting ourselves and our ways as Australian that has done us most good in connecting with Asians.

Learning Asian language leads to a connection with Asians? ... Mate should we take Kevin Rudd as an example?
Posted by keith, Tuesday, 21 July 2009 5:31:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy