The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The origins and history of Jordan > Comments

The origins and history of Jordan : Comments

By David Singer, published 2/6/2009

There have been countless statements made by Arab leaders attesting to the fact that Jordan forms part of Palestine.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Whilst this article correctly states that Jordan is a creation so to is modern Israel. If we accept that the starting point of modern Israel and Jordon where the 1948 accords then peace can only come to the middle east if Israel withdraws to within the 1948 boundaries.
It is in my opinion the desire for a Greater Israel that the Zionists are after, albeit denied. To support my opinion you only need to look at the area to which Israel now claims. To now propose that Jordan expand it's borders is a folly.
Posted by beefyboy, Tuesday, 2 June 2009 10:23:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whilst I agree that it is probably a good idea to merge Palestine with Jordan, I am a bit confused, when early in your piece you suggest that King Abdullah should go, but near the end you suggest that the Hashemites have been doing a good job. Would it not be better to just keep the present government of Jordan in place, at least for a while as things get sorted out. Later on, it might then be up to the expanded country of Jordan/Palestine to work out for itself what would be the most favoured form of government.
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 2 June 2009 10:34:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Singer,

What a brilliant idea, another Bantustan for the dispossessed Palestinians.I think it's about time philosophers recognised a new category of argument, "Zionist sophistry."
Posted by mac, Tuesday, 2 June 2009 10:41:25 AM
If Jordan were to accept responsibility for the West Bank, the Israelis would expect them to contain Hamas and stop attacks on Israel. When this proved difficult, Jordan would be punished. Perhaps this is why King Abdullah dislikes this proposal.
Posted by benk, Tuesday, 2 June 2009 12:21:44 PM
This is another Israeli classic. On the one hand they are hysterical about the 'existential' threat to Israel while on the other hand they propose Palestine be 'wiped off the map'. They do this with a straight face and then blame the Jordanians for not being complicit.

What gall. How could a people lose their moral compass so badly?
Posted by dane, Tuesday, 2 June 2009 12:53:06 PM
# beefyboy

Jordan expanded its borders between 1948-1967 to include all of the West Bank. I am suggesting Jordan return to that position in relation to the heavily populated Arab areas of the West Bank. Two states - Jordan and Israel - in former Palestine accords with historic,geographic and demographic realities. Three states don't.

#VK3AUU

I have not suggested that King Abdullah should go. That is what some of his fellow Arabs have suggested. The Hashemites have proved themselves astute and realistic politicians and rulers in 77% of Palestine since they first arrived there in the 1920's.

#mac

Who suggested dispossession or bantustans? Under my proposal not one single arab will neeed to leave his current house in the West Bank. They will all become Jordanian citizens and the borders of Jordan will be extended to incorporate the areas in which they presently reside giving them complete freedom of movement within the expanded borders of Jordan.

#benk

Jordan is presently containing Hamas within its existing borders. It will have no problems containing Hamas in the West Bank - as it did with the PLO in September 1970. Certainly Israel would be ready to assist. Both countries have mutual security interests. King Abdullah would obviously prefer to not get involved. But the failure of all attempts to create a new state between Israel and Jordan over the last 15 years leaves Jordan's return to the West Bank the only practical solution to ending the claims by the Jews and the Arabs to the territory once called Palestine. Both peoples will end up with less than many of their fellow brethren want. So be it. Its time to get on with life and bury the old grievances. Arabs with a state in about 80% of former Palestine. Jews with a state in about 20% of former Palestine. Everyone keeps on living where he is. Seems like a fair outcome to me.
Posted by david singer, Tuesday, 2 June 2009 1:43:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy