The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > North Korea’s nuclear tantrum > Comments

North Korea’s nuclear tantrum : Comments

By Shim Jae Hoon, published 1/6/2009

Kim Jong Il gambles with the world to gain recognition.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Excellent article. YaleGlobal Online has risen above its conservative tendencies.

Seems to have the authentic feel of a scholar who has good access to South Korean information. The nuances are there and a clearly stated picture of the "what to do" debate going on in China.

But there is still the feeling that Seoul, a short range missile flight away, and Japan a longer flight, from the North Korean border, have few choices other than upgraded anti-missile defences.

In Kim Jung Il's case the traditional American threat of nuclear destruction doesn't appear to be a viable deterrent. His opinion that his country is family property to be disposed as he wishes may be causing desperation among his people who do not wish to be part of the final transaction.

With the little boy God, now old, soon to croak anyway is little cause for celebration in either Korea. He (a few fries short of a Happy Meal) may simply wish to go out with a Bang.

Will North Koreans who want to live accede to his wish or at least tolerate the risk hanging over them? Probably yes - they know of no reality outside the world of the Kims and Kim's secret police are thorough. Like Egyptian court officials they may be prepared to die with their Pharaoh.

Looks like China has some covert work to do to prevent a regional nuclear funeral on its border.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 1 June 2009 1:12:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent post and article. I agree China has its work cut out for her.
This mad man is a joke, and a frightening joke. My first comment
didn't compute. But all I said was I felt China was the best to handle
Kim. They don't want any nuclear accidents on their doorstep. They
might find they are placed in an unusual diplomatic situation, but if
I remember rightly they sorted out Cambodia once too when they stepped
out of line
Posted by Bush bunny, Monday, 1 June 2009 3:57:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy