The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Interesting times in China 2009 > Comments

Interesting times in China 2009 : Comments

By Brian Hennessy, published 29/4/2009

What will 2009 bring to China? How will the economic crisis affect China and her relations with the rest of the world?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Brian -

Thank goodness! A genuine attempt - minus agendum, inflammatory rhetoric or pandering to public perceptions - to present the modern China.

I consider the doomsday, antiquated ideas usually expressed by 'experts' on China to be an incredibly valuable proof of the spinmerchants craft and nothing more when reading the majority of articles on China.

So I hope you will continue to try to present your viewpoint.

Living myself in Ningbo the world as described through the prism of Shanghai or Beijing might as well be a whole other country to us here. Provincial cities and life therein constitute a far more accurate picture of life, and a far more representative version of thought and ideas which represent the majority.

Goodonyer for this and other articles.
Posted by Romany, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 9:10:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brian as a mature age historian, was surprised to read in our "West Australian" newspaper that China is perturbed abour Rudd allowing so much to modernise our defence equipment?

With China also hit economically by the general global economic slump, we could reckon the only reason China could make such a comment, is that she still regards Australia strategically as an American ally.

Regards, BB, WA.
Posted by bushbred, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 1:50:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The kind of perspective provided by this article is essential to truly understanding some of the dynamics and the relative influence of different social and cultural influences on politics and economics in a foreign country. Economic outcomes are not determined solely by entrepreneurial, governmental, or political influences, but by the actions of the people. Hence government "incentives" that don't work - the government itself is out of touch with what drives American citizens.

I'm from the US and look upon images and narratives on network news (mostly CNN, I should shop around more, but I don't see the point) that I view with a high degree of skepticism. "Spokespeople" for various officials, and people who are "in the know" pontificate and hem-and-haw over the "issues". Some increased awareness of what goes on on Wall St. with OPM (Other People's Money) has come about, and that is a plus. I fully expected some action to occur relative to making those who caused the problem pay for it, but no one is willing to try to apportion the blame between investment houses, rating agencies, and regulators. Nonetheless, an opportunity was ignored to really straighten out the financial community.

Obama's refusal (either inability or unwillingness, I'm not sure) to face down the financial empire while populist uproar was at its peak has shown a weakness or lack of political will. Maybe it's just realpolitik. Nothing can be done ...
Posted by rfd, Thursday, 30 April 2009 11:32:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy