The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is Amazon.com rank? > Comments

Is Amazon.com rank? : Comments

By Susan Hawthorne, published 27/4/2009

Amazon.com has de-ranked any book which included lesbian or gay content because it was 'adult' material. 'Playboy' remained unaffected.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thanks for alerting us about this prejudicial action. Your article clearly outlines a modern form of book burning.

Yes the words lesbian and gay are certainly most powerful in order to elicit such a response. And of course those of us who support human rights must always watch out for this type of thing.

Even though, per your post script, Amazon has restored rankings of authors who had been impacted, I wonder if Amazon can be trusted?
Posted by Lavender, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 10:14:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like the way Amazon claimed it was a software error.

They learned pretty quickly that the well-educated, literate gay market is more profitable than a demographic which allows only one book and holds public Harry Potter burnings.
Posted by Sancho, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 10:23:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now I am really disappointed in them. I'm shocked to hear about the bullying of the little shop from which the dot-com pinched the name.

This current biz is shocking too - the implications go way beyond the LGBT community.

Apart from a few smaller online book distributers - anyone got any suggestions for an alternative to Amazon?
Posted by Pynchme, Wednesday, 6 May 2009 10:56:02 PM
"In case anyone might think this really was just an accidental glitch, on chat rooms about this issue, it is reported that the #1 ranked book for “homosexuality” on Amazon.com is a book with the unfriendly title, A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Homosexuality."
There is no conspiracy here, merely demographics.
The basic market for your "deranked" books is homosexuals, who form less than 2% of the population.
If only 3% of the rest of the population bought "A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Homosexuality" then it would easily outrank all the other books on homosexuality.
And why wouldn't they buy such a book when their kids are being indoctrinated by do-gooding diversitycrats in kindergartens and primary schools with books like "Deaf Heather has Two Deaf Mommies" http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7367/771, "Daddy's Latest Roommate" and "Home Alone 5 - My Two Daddies Have Gone Cruising"?
Posted by KMB, Thursday, 7 May 2009 1:59:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy