The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oil, oil, oil > Comments

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oil, oil, oil : Comments

By David Chibo, published 3/4/2009

Iraq: it is important to understand how the US maintains its superpower status and controls the world's economy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
A good and timely article.

Now that Bush, Rice, Cheney and other habituals of the oil industry no longer control the US and, by association, Australia, the true magnitude of oil as a determinant of US behavior, might be revealed.

Then again it might not. The continuing importance of Middle East oil to the US economy means that the same US tendency to veil its policy of securing oil through military might will continue. And Australia will continue to do its bit to assist.

On my website in June 2006 I wrote:

"The Left writes of the oil connection...but their thoughts are unacceptable to the mainstream of conventional opinionaters. The rightwing oil industry is also aware of the connection but dare not shed light on oil Realpolitik. I am not of the Left or the Right.

This is not to deny that other reasons for invading Iraq were also significant. It is just that mention of oil and America's utilization of its military dominance to secure oil supplies is a no-go zone for mainstream discussion.

Perhaps some learned scholar from Harvard will “discover” the oil reason in 2009 (by some coincidence). People will then nod wisely in agreement “of course”."

http://gentleseas.blogspot.com/2006/06/oil-unspeakable-foreign-policy-factor.html

Peter Coates
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 3 April 2009 8:56:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Look, there are about 4.2 million biological forms on this planet, and they are all hungry.

Likewise, one of those biological species, us, has created thousands of social organisms, and guess what? They are all hungry too. The biggest, fastest and most powerful get the most control and best pickings. That’s the way the real world is, get over it and move on.

Rehashing history won’t change anything, fact. Might it change the future? Only if you can convince consumers in the developed nations to stop buying, reduce their growth and their dependency resources and fossil based energy. I suppose you would make the case that this would be good. You would of course, need to factor in that 65% of the worlds wealth and production capacity is owned and operated by the G8 nations. The G8 nations shrink and the other 230 nations do what exactly, become extinct?
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 3 April 2009 10:45:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now we can see what Saddam's real sin was: selling oil in Euros
Now we can also see why Iran is being villified: they too want to sell oil in Euros.
America, land of the free will do practically *anything* (kill, villify, destroy!) to keep the market in their favour.
spindoc: You are too cynical. The Truth matters.
Politicians lying is one thing: we expect it. Lying and killing hundreds of thousands of innocents while saying "God backs me", however is just insanity.
The press completely avoiding the obvious truth and pushing a false agenda that enriched a few and killed many...No, I will not "get over it" I will fight thank-you-very-much! We should never have let the press get controlled by folks in bed with terrorist business. Our political and business leaders have been/(are?) glorified mobsters, nothing more and you want us all to just ignore it?!! Civilisation ends that way mate!
If anyone on the street contemplates the approach of lie, kill, destroy to make profit they would rightly be considered criminal, but Bush/Howard? Noooo, they are statesmen!
What is *really* bad about all this is that the population is quite willing to accept "leaders" rotten to the core because they throw a few bones in their direction. Howard sparked up generational warfare and wedged every traditional Australian social issue. By "dog whisteling" in all directions he got support from people who only realised later that it was just *talk*.
Bush used stupid religious people to vote against their very principles by branding himself "one of them". People in herds are so dumb!
Hitler/Bush and far worse can and will reappear because people don't care about truth and will follow a criminal if they dress right, praise their particular herd and chastise their social foes.
Anyone who *still* believes the Iraq war was anything but an economic ploy is truly, tragically, lost to the real world, and a tool of evil to boot.
Sorry folks, but I cannot gather even a skerrik of respect for fools that enable mass-murdering profiteers.
Posted by Ozandy, Friday, 3 April 2009 1:46:01 PM
Sorry spindoc but I have to follow this up:
You agree that it was all about oil?
You know that the whole "regime change" was because Saddam was no longer a lapdog (You *do* know about Iran/Iraq war and the US involvement I assume)
So you probably also know that the Iran hoo-ha is all about oil in Euros...the other stuff is just smoke. You remember the CIA selling cocaine to arm subversives to undermine a government...
Basically all this is OK because..."its a jungle out there and ethics are for losers".
This appears to be the official position of the Neo-Lib/Far Right and you are still proud of this? Do you not see the danger of this "unrepentant schoolyard bully" approach?
Trouble with being rich and powerful and displaying that sort of arrogance is that it only works in a crowd of rich and powerful.
The US (and by association Australia) will never be trusted on the world stage. We can never say "play fair" and be taken seriously. If you are to continue with this approach then the war will be brought to us, but not when we want it to. No more berating the Chinese for human rights abuses: that would be hypocritical as *we* mass murder thousands for profit. If we are branded "evil" enough by activities and attitudes like this then it will justify all sorts attacks on the West in future. Like everything else the Neo-Libs did there was a small gain in the short term for the very few, at a massive cost to the rest of us for a long time.
Short term profiteering is *not* wise and can be very destructive.
I do not believe in God, but I do believe in Good. Seems the religious
Right is fine with God the fantasy but won't have a bar of Good for people.
Posted by Ozandy, Friday, 3 April 2009 2:05:02 PM
What can I say Ozandy? Your post is one long “hissy fit”, multiple raw nerves held together with the vilification of the individual leaders that you choose to hate.

When you personalize your hatred you will be locked into a time when that person was relevant. By maintaining your Bush Rage you are stopping yourself from moving on.

Ozandy, George W. Bush has gone!! Get over it and move on.

Our western politicians each reflect their nation, the American people voted for their president and that is their business not yours. You have to stop throwing the guilt and confusion you feel at someone else’s leader. At the very least you need to pick on someone new, or are you destined to be forever stuck in the Bush era?
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 3 April 2009 5:05:57 PM
In defence of Ozandy, maybe it's reasonable to keep reminding people of where they have just come from so they will recognise some warning signs when they are being led back down the same route by new rulers.

The last crowd were just the culmination of all the misdeeds of previous administrations, except that modern communications have made many things more obvious to a lot more people.
Posted by wobbles, Saturday, 4 April 2009 1:03:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy