The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can China change the Copenhagen consultations? > Comments

Can China change the Copenhagen consultations? : Comments

By Geoff Carmody, published 30/3/2009

China, one of the largest economies, with greenhouse gas emissions to match, has made a positive contribution to the climate change debate.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
China's contribution to the debate was not positive at all. The Chinese Government was pointing out, again, why they should not bother to do anything. At least this time they did not ask for money, so I suppose that's something. The Chinese are interested in the Western fetish with Carbon ony to the extent of exploiting to make money for themselves. The Chinese Government may make encouraging noises to keep Western activists busy writing pieces about how the West is the real carbon villain, but only noises.

At least the article underlines, yet again, that any attempt to curtail global carbon emissions faces extraordinary difficulties. Those difficulties are so immense that those who have faith in the IPCC temperature forecasts really should be looking at adaption strategies.
Posted by curmudgeonathome, Monday, 30 March 2009 9:16:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Chinese proposal that consumers, rather than producers, take responsibility for their share of emissions seems to be a reaction to the Obama administration's mooted carbon tariff.

See: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123733297926563315.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Quote:

'Mr. Chu, speaking before a House science panel, said establishing a carbon tariff would help "level the playing field" if other countries haven't imposed greenhouse-gas-reduction mandates similar to the one President Barack Obama plans to implement over the next couple of years. It is the first time the Obama administration has made public its view on the issue.'

On the whole I agree with the Chinese point of view on this one.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 30 March 2009 12:23:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is confusing.

A carbon tariff on imports increases the prices which are then paid for by the consumer.

The difference is that the tax goes to the consuming country. For china to have the proceeds go to them they should implement a carbon tax. Then everyone is happy?

Or is China asking the US to subsidise its goods?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 30 March 2009 12:54:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm willing to look into it - but to be honest, I think they want a free cake on this one.

Truth be told, I'm skeptical of anything coming out of a country that has a propaganda ministry.
Posted by WhiteWombat, Monday, 30 March 2009 7:12:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy