The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religious freedom and the secular state > Comments

Religious freedom and the secular state : Comments

By Rod Benson, published 24/3/2009

Last year the Australian Human Rights Commission launched a review of freedom of religion and belief in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
“there is a balance to be struck between the freedom to practice a religion and not pushing those beliefs on the rest of society.”

this is evidence of an "anti-religious bias"? benson quoted this, but he doesn't seem to have the vaguest sense of what it means.
Posted by bushbasher, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 9:34:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see how our wonderful bill of rights in Victoria which allows Christians to be charged for telling the truth prohibits the outlawing of bikie gangs that gang rape, murder and steal. NO doubt the lefties who love defending criminals and terrorist are proud of their achievements.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 9:51:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear runner,

One person's religious truth is another person's blasphemy.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 10:29:28 AM
Freedom of religion by all means; but it is hard to credit that people are still arguing the toss about the silliness of all religions in the 21st century. The whole nonsense is man-made, and should have been dropped long ago. Prior 'religions' worshiped idols. It is even sillier to worship or believe in the non-existent.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 10:49:46 AM
AND there is the old question of religions not paying taxes. Is my freedom of religion (to have or have not) violated by paying taxes whilst religions I do not support pay none? Does religious privilege amount to reverse discrimination?
Posted by Daviy, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 2:04:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It constantly amuses me that those who scream loudest for the separation of Church and State if there is the slightest hint the Church may have a valid argument in a particular case are also the ones who wont to impose the state on the church. Why do we want to follow those bastions of democracy like Cuba down the gurgler of Human Rights? To me some of the ideas here are similar to today’s article on a bill of rights, it is elite trying to tell us the great unwashed what we can and cannot think. Freedom of religion means you can think what you like about God or the Gods or their non existence, you can follow your rites up to the point you do not infringe on others rights to ignore or criticise your faith/non faith. It has only been through such vigorous debate as exemplified in this forum that the differences of various religions are compared. Should such a lively debate be emasculated because a religion sees it self as beyond critical analysis? - I do not think so. Another problem is the leap of logic in equating criticism of a religion with racism. Such stupidity is an attempt to nullify any analysis of their position
Posted by foxydude, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 9:37:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy