The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Defining Islamophobia > Comments

Defining Islamophobia : Comments

By Alice Aslan, published 8/1/2009

The use of essentialist statements about Islam and Muslims block dialogue and debate.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Absolutely correct. Well written and explained. Good work.
I would add the recalcitrant obsession that people can be defines by ancient religious interpretive texts. When in reality everyone’s view of religion is dependent on the individual.

Warning: Now comes those who hide behind 'freedom of speech' with their perversions of what the article is about.
We will be treated to varying displays hysterical Islamophobia rather than discussion.

Despite the coming tirades this article is one I'll keep for its insightful explanations.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 8 January 2009 9:43:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is indeed insightful. However, it would have been better if it had not concluded with the questionable platitude:

"Most important of all, we always need to remember that in this society everyone has something to say, and every culture has something to offer."

We recently have had the One Nation party. I think the general conclusion is that they had something to say and what they had to say was not worthwhile saying.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 8 January 2009 9:54:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welcome Back David F....:)

Exammy... ur too easy :) can spot you a mile off.

Nursels primary error is that she uses the term 'ISLAM-ophobia' for what she should be describing as "MUSLIM-ophobia".

Fear and loathing (and in my view the eradication of) of Islams doctrines is very valid.
-Child sexual abuse.
-Sexual abuse of Captive women.
-Inciting hatred against Christians and Jews. Pathalogical hatred of atheists. "hate what Allah hates"
-Seditious and warlike (Fight those who do not believe. 9:29)

But Muslims? aah..then we have to take into account the various 'shades' of Muslim.

a)Cultural/nominal
b)Sincere but moderate.
c)Sincere and Radical.
d)Consumed with anger, hate, violent intent and radical.

As a general rule, I don't believe in discrimination against Muslims in most of the areas of life but this worries me about those who might have access to information on us.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24826017-5001561,00.html

<<In a note given to NSW Supreme Court judge Anthony Whealy on November 26, one juror wrote that the woman had followed some jurors to their cars on two instances; on the second occasion, she stood behind the car writing notes in a book before making a mobile phone call.>>

Have fun that ...I'm sure some will.

NURSUL lays out all the legitimate concerns of non Muslims almost in list form....then she goes into the twighlight zone of surreal double talk and speaks as if she had just said the opposite.

LESSONS FOR NURSUL.

1/ Correct Terminology "Muslimophobia" not 'Islam'aphobia.

2/ "Islam" as a set of doctrines IS violent and evil. Care to debate this at the State library Vic in public with a large PA system ?

3/ Muslims generally don't see Islam in this way, same as Most nominal Christians don't know much about their own faith.

The correct social position to have is. (my opinion)

1) Rational fear of Islam, and working towards measures to eliminate it. (IICor 10:4)
2) Compassionate treatment of deluded nominal Muslims, with a view to restoring their lost humanity. (John 3:16)

"deluded"...hmmm is that word too strong about another faith?

Quran, Surah 9:30 "they (Christians) are deluded"
Posted by Polycarp, Thursday, 8 January 2009 11:07:20 AM
Dear Polycarp,

Thank you for your welcome.

With the barbaric actions of Christianity such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Holocaust, the Wars of the Reformation etc. there is far more reason for Christianophobia than there is for Islamophobia. However, Christians have done quite a bit of good and some of them are very fine human beings in spite of the horrors of their religion and the nonsense of belief in a humanoid God. The same is true for Islam. Muslims are also human beings. Most of their countries at the beginning of the twentieth century were colonies of imperialist Christian Europe who were there through brutality and force.

It is reasonable to hate neither Christianity nor Islam as members of both faiths are human beings. However, the record of Christianity is far worse. Some of the fruits of Christianity are intolerance, persecution and murder. Maybe look at your own nonsense and evil before you show your hate for human beings who believe nonsense different from yours.

Happy New Year.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 8 January 2009 11:22:11 AM
David, well done. You've proven Polycarp's point, in your illinformed post above.

The mere fact that you need to mention the inquisitions when trying to show that we should be just as scared of Christianity as Islam is really evidence of how little justification there is for your position.

The inquisition happened hundreds of years ago and resulted in very few deaths, far fewer than popular belief or perception.

Compare this to the modern world- Islamic terrorists have been responsible for over TWELVE AND A HALF THOUSAND ATTACKS, in the name of their religion in the PAST SEVEN YEARS. I wonder how many Christian terrorist attacks there have been in the same timeframe?

And of course, when talking about whether we should be "scared' of a religion we need to consider all the good they do as well. Considering that the vast majority of aid organisations in the Western World are either explicitly Christian, or were started by Christians (and are now officially secular in the name of PC and inclusivity), I'd say the world would have more to be scared of if Christianity did NOT exist, wouldn't you!?
Posted by Trav, Thursday, 8 January 2009 12:13:35 PM
David

I have not heard of someone saying our Christian god will give me 50 virgins, once I kill hundreds of people.

I think the problem of Islam and the reason for Islamophobia, is the fact that the teachers and Leader of Islam does not fight this evil, they are often silent when evil happened in the name of Islam. In fact many of them seem in support of the deed of these evil people in society. Ie after Sept 11, many of them said America caused it/deserved it.

Since the Leader of Islam does not fight evil, we are left with the conclusion that Islam is an evil religion and something we should be in fear of.

So Islamophobia in my opinion, is caused be Islam and we are right to be frighten by Islam
Posted by dovif2, Thursday, 8 January 2009 1:49:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy