The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Muslims must speak out > Comments

Muslims must speak out : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 9/12/2008

The latest attacks in Mumbai should signal the end of world silence and inaction: Muslims must demonstrate their outrage.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
This is an excellent article that has been written by a brave and wise man. He is correct in implying that these disgusting murderers do not emerge from a vaccuum but from societies that MUST know them and are either actively or passively supporting them. He is also correct in stating that these evil scum are damaging all Muslims throughout the world. I am not a Muslim and state that I now treat all Muslims with caution allied to both fear and disgust. Of course the odds are that I am being unfair but what else do you expect me to think and feel?

Mr. Goth is a small lamp of hope that more Muslims will not just condemn murderers in private (if they do even condemn them at all) but also say so in public, and, if they have reason to suspect somebody they should oppose that evil and report to the relevant police force.

It is to be hoped but, I fear, not expected, that a mass of Muslims will come out publicly to support Mr. Goth.
Posted by eyejaw, Tuesday, 9 December 2008 2:43:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with most of what the author is saying here. It does take a lot of guts to say such things, but what are muslims going to do when all these terrorists are doing is following the doctrines of their prophet?
How do Imams and Walis and so forth go about addressing/changing the example their prophet left them? An example for all time.
Posted by Bassam, Tuesday, 9 December 2008 2:55:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed. Somebody gotta stand up and say sumfin'.

Some of the agitators on OLO can then move on and find another grievance. This one's dragged on...and on...
Posted by bennie, Tuesday, 9 December 2008 3:04:38 PM
This is one of the more sensible pieces of writing on this subject, and he does have a number of people of like mind, around the world.

It was pleasing to hear that the Muslim community in India barred the terrorists from being buried in the Muslim cemetery in Mumbai.That is a good sign.

But there is a long way to go, as this mix of papers reveal.

http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpage.cfm/frm/28244/sec_id/28244

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/12/enough_of_radical_islam.html

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Top-10-Reasons.htm

But it is going to be a long haul when Muslims,their Imams and scholars wont even face up to fact that there is abundant evidence to show that the Koran has a history, of which this is one version.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1227702431692&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FPrinter
Posted by bigmal, Tuesday, 9 December 2008 3:21:36 PM
The problem is that these terrorists do chant Allahu Akbar and they do quote koranic verses - accurately. They also take the words and actions of Mohammud seriously, doing what he did and following his example.

This may explain their actions and why the terror never ends.

Muslims do speak out. Muslims do denounce the acts of terror done in the name of Islam, both in private and in public, again and again. After every attack we hear condemnations -- and nothing changes. More attacks happen and again Muslims speak out. Nothing changes; the terror never stops.

It is time for Muslims to try something different. How about condemning the hate and violence in the Quran and repudiating the actions of their prophet? (I am talking about the attacks, raids, plunder, murder, enslavement of men women and children, torture, rape of captives and abuse of women including wife beating, as narrated in Islam's own traditions). Maybe the Imams and scholars can't rescue Islam from terrorism because terror is part of Islam. Think about that. Didn't Islam's dear prophet say "I am made victorious with terror"?

Instead of outrage, try a little honesty. Give change a chance.

Kactuz
Posted by kactuz, Tuesday, 9 December 2008 3:48:36 PM
Any criticism of one religious viewpoint from another religious viewpoint is just a way of saying "You're wrong and I'm right - nyahh!" since neither side has any evidence whatsoever for their belief. This is why it has so little impact. Bin Laden is simply doing what the Pope and Rowan Williams keep telling us to do -- following the dictates of God. The bombers and gunmen KNOW that they are carrying out the explicit instructions of the Almighty. Why should they pay any attention to what the corrupt and deluded disciples of peace and tolerance try to tell them?

Only an atheist can accurately point out why ALL religious believers are wrong, and why doing what God tells you to is no substitute for rational thought and behaviour. Let us spread atheism in the realms of Islam -- from a safe distance, of course.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 9 December 2008 5:54:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy