The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Sisterhood of Men-Baggers > Comments

The Sisterhood of Men-Baggers : Comments

By Klay Lamprell, published 28/11/2008

What would women think if women-bagging emails took up the same amount of cyberspace as those men-bagging ones do?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All
Veronika,

Yep, I agree with you on this one.

The love of my life was once a black guy and the two of us would trade racist jokes together and giggle and laugh like kids. My younger son, on the other hand, knows a guy who is a dyed in the wool racist and tells (probably the same) racist jokes which make my skin crawl.

There is, as you say, nothing new about these Women's Weekly type gender jokes. As a kid, I remember how, at my parents parties, someone would float a woman-joke and someone else would put forward a man-joke: and while neither of my parents ever found them particularly funny neither did they make any connection of them to actual gender wars.

If you ever come across any books of Medieval or Early Modern humour (yes, there really are some around)have a look inside. Riddles and jokes directed at both sexes have been around a lot longer than the Feminist movement.
Posted by Romany, Sunday, 7 December 2008 12:06:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Veronika

As you imply, your aim is to ram home feminist ideology and misogyny. For that purpose you seem to think that anything is excusable, you can say what you like and if the audience doesn't like it they can 'harden up'.

With respect, your 'joke' about men being women beaters is an affront to the huge majority of men who value women (and men) and are exemplary husbands, fathers, grandfathers, brothers, uncles and sons. Let us be plain about this, your life values and attitudes that make that insulting, wrong assessment of men funny for you. You weakly justify the vilification of men as 'satire'. Balderdash, you are just being offensive in trying to ram home your anti-male stereotypes.

It doesn't help that feminists operate a 'closed shop' and are not amenable to alternate views. However, the opportunity remains for feminists to show (on OLO at least) just how funny their stereotyping is when applied to other groups such as Aboriginals and the disabled. Post these 'funny' jokes.

I have great sympathy for the many millions of men who in the main have not reacted to feminist insults. Their tolerance and forbearance in the face of unfair and often gross feminist sledging over the years go much of the way towards refuting the fundamental feminist assumptions and criticisms leveled at them.

As demonstrated by the Leunig example, feminists can dish it out but they cannot take it in return. So much for their sense of humour.

Antiseptic was right to say, "The problem, as I see it, is that jokes about the inadequacies of men as perceived by women are entirely unactionable by the sex-discrimination commissioner, yet the converse, jokes about the perceived inadequacies of women by men, are punishable quite harshly." Feminists know that and they would not have it any other way.

All this author has said is "perhaps men could do with a little less bagging", having said earlier "To be fair, the typecasting is often applied to both genders". You would have to be very rigid in your feminist ideology to choke on that.
Posted by Cornflower, Sunday, 7 December 2008 1:25:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<As you imply, your aim is to ram home feminist ideology and misogyny.>>

Huh? I've no idea what you're talking about in most of your post. But I think I can safely say that you've misunderstood my "life values".

I do agree with you about the Michael Leunig thing though. It was appalling what he went through. That's what I was trying to say earlier about some feminists lacking a sense of humour
Posted by Veronika, Sunday, 7 December 2008 3:28:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy