The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Obama: whatever it takes and a few lucky breaks > Comments

Obama: whatever it takes and a few lucky breaks : Comments

By Brendon O'Connor, published 12/11/2008

Obama’s ruthlessness is one of his key attributes and one he masks effectively. Following its influence on his presidency should be interesting.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Reports suggest Obama is in difficulties already. He will delay closing the camp it Gitmo. Reason is that of the 255 inmates arrested on the battlefields of Afghanistan 100 or so under George Bush are not being charged. The reason for their continued incarceration; None of their 'home' countries will take them back. I don't see how Obama is going to achieve their return. Maaybe he will sit down and chat with the dictators who run those countries?

There remains the legal problem of the trials of the remainder. They cannot be tried under the US Federal system as there are just too many problems re intelligence for them to be given open trials. According to all reports Obama's 'crew' are attempting to find a quasi - judicial solution ... just like George.

I look forward to the next couple of years ... they are going to be quite ironic and I look forward to the backflips by anti George commentators and the equally ludicrus elite media.

Obama is also proposing by Presidential writ to reinstate the Mexico City option. ie fund abortions with US taxpayers money ... in foreign countries.

He also intends reversing George's ban on embryonic stem cell using live existing embryos.

Did anyone realise those were on his policy list.

Cos he never spoke of then... especially not when addressing catholics.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 6:48:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
keith, firstly, blaming the media is basically, a copout, for people who don't like what's happened. It's weak, and it's tired. Every half-arsed undergraduate across the country loves to point at the 'meeeeeja', be they pissed off with the right wing tirades of fox or Piers Akerman, or the left wing diatribes of Philip Adams, or any other outlet they'd like to screech is 'elitist' which is code for 'suspiciously smart.'

To rebut more substantially: your alleged Mexico writ is false. If not, post a link, so I can show the dubious nature of your source.
As far as Obama's attitude on abortions, he's given many speeches indicating his precise position is that he unequivocally supports the right of choice for women, however he would like to see more focus on pre-pregnancy contraception and prevention. It's no secret.

Nor is his stance on embryonic stem cell research. You say "did anyone know?" as if he's been hiding it.

He hasn't. Find a single article indicating a backflip here. Every conservative outlet in the entire world would be screeching about it, you must realise that.

In regard to his 'troubles' well, yes, he's running into some - by definition they must be 'troubles' that have been caused by the last administration, how could they be otherwise when he hasn't begun? If your intention is to imply the public are getting wary, I'd say that it's obvious the international attitude and goodwill towards him is unprecedented.

I liked this article, and didn't see it as a slur, as such. A bit of ruthlessness is necessary for such a position and it will indeed be fascinating to see how he employs it.

As far this idea that we don't know where he stands, I've pointed out that this is false on those social policies, and for those interested in his economic background, this is a brilliant, well researched piece, and I find it difficult to name any instances where a Republican's economic view is so clearly outlined - probably because there aren't many capable of expressing or formulating one such as this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/magazine/24Obamanomics-t.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&oref=slogin
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 11:51:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TLTR,

see www.cnsnews.com/public/Content/article.aspx?RsrcID=39104

it's from the Meeeeja, so who nows, but in part is says:

"(CNSNews.com) – The “change” that President-elect Barack Obama promised on the campaign trail will likely include overturning President George W. Bush’s 2001 executive order to prohibit the use of federal tax dollars for performing or advocating abortion as a means of family planning in foreign countries, Obama’s transition team has said.

“There’s a lot that the president can do using his executive authority without waiting for congressional action, and I think we’ll see the president do that,” John Podesta, head of Obama’s transition team, said when he appeared on “Fox News Sunday.”

One of those executive orders is the Mexico City Policy, or as critics call it, the “global gag act,” a U.S. policy first put into place at an August 1984 Conference on Population in Mexico City by President Ronald Reagan..."

Read the lot - Keith and the meeeja know what is happening...this news source claims it was set up in "an effort to provide an alternative news source that would cover stories that are subject to the bias of omission and report on other news subject to bias by commission."

Omerica - embryonic research... here we come
Posted by Reality Check, Tuesday, 18 November 2008 4:25:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy