The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > David and Goliath: Palestine and Israel > Comments

David and Goliath: Palestine and Israel : Comments

By Reuben Brand, published 18/11/2008

An Israeli think tank has publicised its concerns regarding the growth of Hamas both politically and militarily in the past three years.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
As a long time supporter of the Palestinian People, it is my considered opinion that the present situation between Israel and Hamas is similar to the time when Arafat was alive. When Israel with the support of America were only interested in conditions on their terms. As long as Israel maintains the blockage on the Gaza, than Hamas will only grow stronger.

It is my believe that the Arab League must put pressure on Hamas to control the Militants and America must also put pressure on Israel to end the blockade and meet the Palestinians half way.

Than there will be only one left, all out war between Israel/America and the Islamic World. A war in which the Middle East will be a land fit for no one.
Posted by southerner, Tuesday, 18 November 2008 5:46:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
a lot of middle eastern people regard israel as an occupying power, with no right to exist beyond military supremacy. this military supremacy will continue for some time, as the israeli government returns a lot of the financial aid they receive as bribes to american legislators who then support israel with further donations.

but palestinians who want their land back have no choice but to fight. the quality of the israeli army is not a deterrent to people with nothing to lose. as long as the israelis think they must be masters in palestine, they will breed resistance.

in the long term, only something like the south african solution can save the israelis from endless war.
Posted by bill broome, Tuesday, 18 November 2008 7:54:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Israeli/US alliance is no different to the alliances made by hook or by crook in the days of the Old Testament.

Nothing has changed.

The secular viewpoint on all this is quaint...but misguided I feel.

I hold that there is only one "solution" and it will be a rather 'final' one.

As a Jewish bloke with an Aussie accent said during an interview in Jerusalem the other day, just after a Palestinian family had been evicted from their home.. to be replaced by Settlers.....

"God gave this land to Israel. Many invaders have come and gone, but God only gave it to one.. us"

Cheer his view or vilify it... makes no difference to it being a reality in many (and a growing number of) Jewish minds.

The hard core of Hamas are equally resolute, though from an Islamic perspective.

People who come up with various 'solutions' seem to ignore the fundamental incompatibility of these diametrically opposed understandings.
They also seem to ignore that the agenda is driven by those same people.....not by gentle moderates.

Keep on speculating...keep on solving the unsolvable.. rectifying the ridiculous, and producing a feel good moment in your own hearts...
in the end.. God is sovereign..and Armageddon is the most likely final act.
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 9:12:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Poly,

your genocidal sentiment will lead to another final solution but not the one you expect.

And you'll intone the rest of us to prevent it.

I don't think I'd want my childern or grandchildren going to war to support a fascist regime. And they won't ... no-one will.

Wake up the world has changed since pre-Christian times. ie we've all adopted Christianity not the religion of the Hebrews.

Least of all, we Liberal Democrats reject your man-made Hebrew idea of Armageddon, and surely that sentiment belongs only to one race on this earth.

Why don't you try to go in peace and optimism, like the rest of us.

Your ingrained hate and vilification of all things non-Jewish is profoundly disturbing.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 5:56:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy