The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > New Zealand's dim new world > Comments

New Zealand's dim new world : Comments

By Cecily McNeill, published 11/11/2008

Unlike the vast majority of their American cousins who are full of hope, New Zealanders may look back on the Clark administration with nostalgia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
This is a counter-cyclical decision by Kiwi voters and one that makes me wonder whether people realise what they are letting themselves in for. Key will govern only with the support of the ACT party, a rump of libertarian extremists who advance whacky Austrian school ideas about school voucher systems and other scorched earth policies that most civilised people would reject.

New Zealand has always been prey to wild-eyed ideologues of the right and the left and its complex mixed member proportional representation system only makes it more likely that people with fringe and unrepresentative ideas can wield disproportionate influence on economic policy-making.

My guess is it won't take long for the vile libertine Rodney Hide and his noxious gang in ACT to start throwing their weight around in support of policies that aim to widen the already sizeable gap between rich and poor in New Zealand and dismantle the last vestiges of what once was the world's greatest social democracy.
Posted by Mr Denmore, Tuesday, 11 November 2008 9:09:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr Denmore's description of Rodney Hide as a libertine is about as accurate as his diatribe on his policies and this distortion of the National Party's. Rodney is not even a libertarian - as the NZ Libertarian Party who view ACT as hopelessly compromised attest loudly. NZ is in for a centrist 3 years with, perhaps, some changes to a ruinous emmissions proposal and, we hope, keeping habitual criminals off the streets until they can no longer do harm. The rich will be rewarded by the highest income tax level coming down from 39% to 38% and eventually 37%, the upper limit for that rate shifting from $60,000 to $70,000 and not much else. That's the level of pay for a senior nurse, teacher or police constable. Hardly the rich. Helen will be remembered with respect; she will not be missed. Time for a change.
Posted by Maxwell, Tuesday, 11 November 2008 10:43:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cecily, hahahahaha, You and your labour mates put in the dopiest voting system. It was set up to pander to all the one idea outside the square fruit loops and it has done its job well!
Now instead of lots of left leaning mini parties supporting labour mates we now have right leaning ones supporting the other side. So the mini me's stick to one idea and get labour elected? Well not this time!
The boot is on the other foot and the mania of making sure everyone gets a say now means the majority can be usurped. This is going to be a real suprise Cecily but dirty tricks can always be played right back on you.
Finaly Labour are out, get used to it and do not be such a little cry baby, OK?
Posted by JBowyer, Tuesday, 11 November 2008 12:35:35 PM
"New Zealand, reversed out of Obama's hope for a better life for all over the weekend" - what? So the New Zealand election was linked to the USA's, how do you figure that .. was the "peace and love of Obama" spreading all over you was it?

What a complete load of spiteful, sour grapes poor sportsmanship rubbish. I heard Helen Clarke's "loser" speech, not much grace there was there, and none from you either, typical.

Hey, the MAJORITY voted, it's a democracy, as much as Labour in NZ has tried to skew it over the years and now they are out. You obviously think the NZ voters are stupid .. good luck with that.
Posted by rpg, Tuesday, 11 November 2008 3:09:58 PM
rpg

Just over half of NZ voters proved they aren't stupid ... dull and boring rugby nuts maybe ... but not stupid
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 6:27:58 PM
I used to feel really sorry for my NZ mates. I used to wonder how embarrassed I would be, if I'd had to call that dreadful woman my PM.

I don't know who to feel sorry for now, but if our bloke, K Rudd doesn't show a bit more savvy, & soon, I'll have to start feeling sorry for myself, I suppose.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 11:22:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy