The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Budgeting for disability > Comments

Budgeting for disability : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 12/11/2008

So, you thought discrimination against people with a disability was a thing of the past?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Given all the useless, often dangerous, rubbish that Australia has allowed to come to Australia to live, the denial of permanent residence to Dr. Moeller just because he has a Down syndrome son is monstrous. Moeller has given good service in a country town, where our own pampered doctors don’t wish to go; he is not a pseudo refugee who has made up lies to stay here, and he has not brought an obnoxious culture with him.

As for the son being a burden, that’s a bit rich when you think of all the dole money and benefits we pay to bludgers calling themselves refugees.

This episode shows the hypocrisy of Australian politicians. They talk about skilled immigration, but they bring in mainly people who will be a burden on society, then reject a skilled applicant who is needed because of our own choosy doctors.

We don’t need any more of the lunatic mass immigration encouraged by Labor and the Coalition, spurred on by big business and developers; we need quality, not quantity. The rejection of this doctor and his family is a disgrace
Posted by Mr. Right, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 9:40:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ironically, many families also abandon their live children when they cannot cope with either physical disability or, in my own case, mental illness. The fact that my Irish mother is firmly religious [they tend to be against abortion and euthanasia] or my Brisbane-born father is a giant in the Materials Handling business and one of Adelaide's richest men, means little to them.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 11:40:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unfortunately this is becoming an issue with many developed nations.

Both New Zealand and Great Britain have similar policies in place.

This is a sad state of affair when sometimes it is necessary for a better quality of life for people with (dis)abilities.

As a sufferer of MS, one of the issues for sufferers of MS is heat and the effect it has upon our bodies, suffering from pseudo exacerbations or Uhthoff's syndrome (when our bodies over-heat and we feel like we are having a relapse).

As Australia is warming up due to global warming, I am seriously having to consider moving to a significantly cooler climate, due the impact of heat on my MS and my ability to work. It's sad to think that I'm considered a burden to a system, I work, pay taxes and I am also part of one of the many clinical trials for the treatment of MS.

Australia and other developed nations, are shutting the door on people who may have a (dis)ability, but can and will contribute in many other ways. People with (dis)abilities do not automatically go onto government benefits, many of us have relatively normal working lives with a (dis)ability plus often having to pay private health insurance to cover the medical costs.

When governments have policies denying citizenship due to a (dis)ability it has a trickle down effect on how people with (dis)abilities are perceived by the greater community. Personally I would rather not have to migrate and live a life of limbo because of a lack of citizenship. I do not think anybody able bodied or (dis)abled would like to live without ever being able to call anywhere home.

Governments need to look at the bigger picture, not the physical nature of an applicant and their family. When a government gives citizenship to a able bodied, taxi driver, chef, waiter, or any other area is suffering a (semi-skilled)shortages over a doctor (skill shortages) with a child with a (dis)ability, there is something seriously wrong and ask what contributions are we really missing out on.
Posted by ATG, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 12:44:41 PM
Yes, Dr Moeller thought it would be different in Australia. He had not done his homework before he arrived. He thought he was coming to a progressive and mature social democracy, but instead he discovered that in Australia, our attitude around disability is back in the dark ages. While there has been an outpouring of support for Dr Moeller, this attitude is not reflected in government policy. And so it is throughout the country. The average Australian expects his/her taxes to go to support people like Lukas Moeller but this expectation not fulfilled. I could not knowingly bring a disabled child into the world and expect my country to support that child. But I have unwittingly given Australia a disabled person who is now in his thirties, and I am wondering when my government is going to decide to support me in his care. This is the irony of the Moeller case: Immigration ought to talk to Disability. They would learn that unless something changes dramatically, people like Lukas DON'T cost the Australian public. They stay at home with their parents until those parents die, after which the siblings are expected to take over the care. It's a very cheap alternative and not what happens in other developed countries. Dr Moeller didn't choose well, but the rest of us cannot choose.
Posted by estelles, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 1:16:18 PM
I guess my biggest concern is the government's perception of (dis)ability and the economic outlay they are perceived to a country. Perhaps if countries such as Australia are having these policies that they really need to extend it cover people who are heavy smokers or drinkers and the obese within this category. No one is asked to be born with a (dis)ability and then spend a life time being reminded what a burden they are on society.

What about the people with these self-inflicted future health problems? These are the areas that governments constantly pour funds into, like a band aid on a haemorrhaging wound. Whereas very little money goes into areas such as neurological disorder research, compared to what is put in to health promotion and support for what could seen some cases a lifestyle illnesses. This is a sweeping generalisation because cancer is an illness that can affect anyone, lifestyle or otherwise, and I am not saying it is any less a significant health issue.

Perhaps governments should really weigh up the costs of a child with cerebral palsy to the lifetime smoker and drinker and look at who really is more of a burden on society.
Posted by ATG, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 1:49:49 PM
And Down Syndrome kids are ever so Luving & affectionate. These immoral imbeciles in Canberra also do themselves a great disservice, but then, not just in the case of those with disabilities, the guvment neither invest in teaching skills to the general populace either.

Red + Blue = Purple

and as I have often said, the crown is a genocidal institution and its knowing and obliging servants are <snip>

They came, they slaughtered, they enslaved and dispossessed. These people denied the entry to Australia of fleeing Jews pre the Holocasut and even after a good dose of the Nazis and the Japs for their trouble, they continued to breach the "Genocide Convention Act" after WWII by the forcible seperation of family members and in more recent times the knowing and deliberate infliction of mental harm upon children in the Asylum seeker camps.

One of the principal reasons that so called special measures are invoked to micro manage the Original people is becoz it forms part of the crown's legal defence.

According to their own law, there must b a TREATY, but, it appears they prefer to wage an ongoing "secret" degenerative war. I have heard it said that pre howard's 10 point scam, ASIO was deployed against certain representatives of the Original Australians. I am wondering, was it alleged that they planned political violence, or did Canberra merely want to know about their political & legal tactics?

THE SOLUTION: GREEN BROWNY for PREZ
Posted by DreamOn, Wednesday, 12 November 2008 2:35:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy