The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The future of anti-Americanism > Comments

The future of anti-Americanism : Comments

By Brendon O'Connor, published 28/10/2008

Public opinion towards the US in the Western world is now much more negative than even at the height of Reagan's global unpopularity.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
It has got that way with me as having a mature age Post Grad with a pleasing memory of Keynsianism and a forgiving America with the Marshall Plan, etc, I feel that America has now lost even common sense, with a popular Palin gladly pressing the Wild West anti-intellectual so-called American Way.

Certainly the start of the downgrade as Henry Kissinger forecast was when he strongly warned Nixon about shutting his mind to Israel going militarily atomic.

It is so idiotically tragic that now in our OLO we find so many contributors forsaking that ability to use scientific reasoning backed by historical insight to understand what is really America's problem.

Playing her luck, rather than using wisdom and understanding.

Cheers, BB, Buntine, WA.
Posted by bushbred, Tuesday, 28 October 2008 10:10:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A simple potted history from the viewpoint of a non-Bushie. Which is practically everyone these days.
Posted by bennie, Tuesday, 28 October 2008 10:23:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
bennie, to be a non-bushie is certainly not without just cause.
Posted by Joe in the U.S., Tuesday, 28 October 2008 12:04:32 PM
Although I'm a leftist I've never been anti-American. Just against the cartel running the place. Barbara Ehrenreich, Molly Ivins and Laura Flanders are some of the Americans I admire and they have all written about the corrupt, criminal regime currently lodged in Washington (hopefully not for much longer).

I hate anti-Americanism. Some leftists will make anti-American comments that would be clearly racist in any other context. So I hope anti-Americanism has no future and people learn to distinguish between the US ruling class and the American people.
Posted by DavidJS, Tuesday, 28 October 2008 1:21:01 PM
Hopefully the elections in a week will turn things around,
when Obama hopefully wins. He understands the need for people
skills, as Clinton did. Bush/Cheney only knew 4 by 2 policy,
no wonder America is hated.

The Economist is running an international poll on the US elections.
So far Obama has around 40'000 votes and McCain 7000. Sudan and
Congo seem in favour of McCain :)

That kind of says it all.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 28 October 2008 1:31:02 PM
Even if Obama wins, as seems likely, he'll be tied down by the past 8 years of violent US history, not to mention the recent economic crisis. All brought about by the current Republican ethics that encompass violence, stupidity and fiscal irresponsibility.

There's not a great deal Obama can do to extricate the US from this mess in the short term.

It will take probably another 8 years before the US recovers from it's violent, interventionist recent past and it's self inflicted economic crisis.
Posted by rw523252, Tuesday, 28 October 2008 1:57:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy