The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Forcing compliance > Comments

Forcing compliance : Comments

By Michael Cook, published 27/10/2008

Victoria's Abortion Law Reform Bill decriminalises abortion and forces doctors with conscientious objections to refer women to doctors who will do abortions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
Henriette,
Much can be done to reduce the number of unplanned pregnancies: comprehensive sex education and freely available contraception.
There's a recent discussion I contributed to and which covers this, but unfortunately there wasn't much interest in the topic.
The article is here if you're interested, but also look at the comments.
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=8086

"If it is NOT wrong, then doctors can be compelled to perform; if it IS wrong, they must not be forced to act against their conscience."
As I said, I'd have no problem with doctors being free to follow their conscience as long as abortion is still accessable for women who want it.
But whose morals would decide whether abortion is wrong or not?
There's also the question whether it's wrong to force a woman to give birth against her will.

If there's a clash between the conscience of a doctor and the need of a woman to have an abortion, then whose best interest would have to receive priority- the doctor's or the woman's?

If we look at the consequences for each scenario, I'm sure that the woman would more likely suffer serious consequences than the doctor would.
Posted by Celivia, Sunday, 2 November 2008 5:48:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy