The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Energy descent > Comments

Energy descent : Comments

By George Meacham, published 9/10/2008

Money is not wealth: the economy is nothing more than a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment that supports it.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Other financial commentators have also agreed on another significant cause. Both FM's were directed by legislation in 1993 to target minority segments of the US population and increase their home ownership rates. Loans were given on the basis of skin colour rather than ability to meet repayments.

Affirmitive action has now added a worldwide economic disaster to its list of wrongs committed in order to "fix" negative racism through racism. When will the world wake up to this oxymoronic arrangement?
Posted by Jai, Thursday, 9 October 2008 9:45:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So eminently sensible, George, to look past one's own wallet. Resources are finite and sooner or later we'll be forced to accept that. But getting the population at large to see it ?

In yer dreams, son.
Posted by bennie, Thursday, 9 October 2008 9:59:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
George,

Reading your words reminded me of a quote I heard long ago and never forgot:

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs..."

Is this your subliminal message for us?
Posted by Daisym, Thursday, 9 October 2008 11:16:14 AM
This appears to be an advertisement for a modernised commune, with even better reasons than before and many more good things to be gained. Is this a form of an End of the World cult - the End if Nigh (again)? (I sure we'll all be sorry we didn't join you when the end comes!) Yes, I did read the How-to file on the Wiki site.

Can you really expect more than a few hundred people at most to take up in this sort of living, it's not a solution since you still will have to rely so heavily on people outside the stockaded community. Educated people, like doctors and dentists, Vets manufacturers, seed suppliers, it goes on and on - you can't just isolate yourselves easily, and what about the children?

I guess it's at best a better run gated-apartments type lifestyle, I do encourage you and your extreme AGW believers to all go and live there, at least we'll know where you all are - and how many really do believe.
Posted by rpg, Thursday, 9 October 2008 3:38:07 PM
George,
Your article is …wella tad chicken little-ish.
While I’m not quite ready to man the barricades just yet I do acknowledge that we do have a serious set of problems.
My Adopted father always said at moments of Crisis “if there be Panic let it be organized”
So have a cold beer and calm down.

It is interesting to note that it was the British firm of Adam Smith and Co. that created Capitalism. True to form the elite firm of ‘Born to Rule & progeny’ and the irksome but successful “Ruthless Exploitation ‘R’ Us” saw further profit opportunities if they could do it on credit while limiting their responsibility/liability. Being the British Empire they naturally assumed the rest was a merely a legal inconvenience so they created in 1862 the Companies Act. This permitted limited liability joint stock companies. The uppity countries did likewise. Most notably the USA, being nation of self made men this conveniently absolving the Almighty responsibility for such a grievous mistake.

If there wasn’t enough opportunities for the unholy duo (now a world wide contagion) to get richer they asked why not trade currencies but wait the gold standard (where the pound note = a pounds worth of gold) another legal inconvenience? so it too went. Some say it all went to down the sewer from there with human greed pushing the plunger.
So? Execute the lawyers, bankers, Brits, Americans and to keep others on this site happy, Muslims and for balance throw in the Israelis? Seems a little extreme to me! Perhaps we should seek the answer in the errors in the application of Capitalism today.
The humanist Brits either forgot or that not everyone was/is a humanist and will seek advantage and domination when it is can or ‘Sharks will always come to where the opportunities to feed are the greatest.’

Where there is no civil morality it should be enforced, sorry Col, this means Regulations, lots of them and active policing. Business/corporations are only amoral tools so there is no breach of rights. People rule, business serves the rest, Fog.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 9 October 2008 5:13:11 PM
Ah, getting to the heart of the matter. Planet Earth is now well understood as an ecosystem of varying ecosystems - all interdependent.

And as the world moves from disaster to disaster to disaster, there's still no shortage of people who think the existing model of competing, rather than co-operating, is still the path to follow. Not sure "Chicken Licken" was the right analogy, but lemmings probably isn't far off?
Posted by K£vin, Friday, 10 October 2008 1:22:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy