The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Forestry pretenders on a gravy train > Comments

Forestry pretenders on a gravy train : Comments

By John Lawrence, published 22/9/2008

Managed investment schemes: what happens when they have investors' and taxpayers' money and no suitable land?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Some obvious points spring to mind. Firstly if there is that much spare cash chasing unproductive tax deductions why don't they have tax deductions for clean energy and health care? The drought resistant country looks like it should be used to grow fruit and veg in lieu of the declining Murray Darling basin. Apart from MIS I believe plantations are also being used to obtain grossly inflated carbon credits in which the amounts are exaggerated and the timing is brought forward. In either MIS or carbon credits there seems to be little penalty if the trees succumb to drought, fire or dieback; thus the sleazoids who get the financial advantage seem to be on a certain winner.

Since official inquiries along ACCC lines have already affirmed that MIS is justified perhaps the evidence needs to be resubmitted.
Posted by Taswegian, Monday, 22 September 2008 9:14:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm currently surrounded by plantations in northern NSW. These investment schemes are pushing up the cost of land so general farming is becoming unaffordable.

The main problem I see with these schemes is that a plantation has no one associated with it whereas an operational farm has workers and their families that need services like schools, shops, medical care etc. As these schemes take over the outlying properties the local towns are losing their services and will soon close down.
Posted by Janama, Monday, 22 September 2008 10:50:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy