The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Assessing vote trends in the Mayo by-election > Comments

Assessing vote trends in the Mayo by-election : Comments

By James Page, published 15/9/2008

By-elections offer a tempting opportunity to track voter trends in politics.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Di Bell? Mayo by-election analysis? Di Bell? 17% of vote? Third? Di Bell anyone? Independent? Anyone out there paying attention? Have you seen the www.vote4di.com website? Is competency still the cue for invisibility for high profile, (professor of anthropology) competent, community action-based female candidate? Who got a local campaign going in five weeks to get 17% of vote?
Posted by Sandhill, Monday, 15 September 2008 11:08:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Could someone please explane this blokes maths to me.
This is the first time I have heard of someone getting 220 percent of the vote, in an election. That this was not enough to win quite confounds me.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 16 September 2008 1:57:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for both the two comments, and I hope the following of assistance. First, the comment regarding Di Bell. Professor Bell is indeed a prominent anthropologist and campaigned extraordinarily well. However the article was looking at voting trends and was thus limited to candidates/parties who campaigned both in 2007 and 2008. This is explained in paragraph 20 of the article. Second, the comment regarding maths. It's important to note that what's being examined is not the percentage of vote, but the percentage of the mean vote share. This is explained in paragraph 5 of the article. For further information, it's probably easiest to googlescholar search this phrase. Thanks again for those two responses.
Posted by Dr James Page, Thursday, 18 September 2008 2:42:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy