The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The state of the arts in tough economic times > Comments

The state of the arts in tough economic times : Comments

By Jane Haley, published 25/8/2008

It’s said we may be heading for the big R - recession. If that’s the case, how will the arts be affected?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
If there is a big R recession, the last thing we care about is how it will affect the arts

Lets try to make sure we do not get there first
Posted by dovif2, Monday, 25 August 2008 1:47:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good on you Jane. Tough gig.

Well, you scared the horses good and proper by mentioning the R word. There won't be a check book around for weeks now to support the Fortitude Valley Legs Akimbo Puppet Theatre.

Even so, there's a place for business-arts sponsorship. The QANTAS- Australian Ballet deal is a perfect synergy of brands coming together.

Australians aren't very good at arts sponsorship (Pratt besides). The benefits for community and business community are considerable. Unfortunately me thinks you won't convince the doubters with your claim that more people attend arts events than sports. I was amongst 80,000 people at a Collingwood Game recently. More than 150,000 Australians watch AFL on a weekend and I don't know how many on TV. A million? Ditto the rugger.

I like your style though.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 25 August 2008 4:07:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sport has become a commodity so I suppose "art" is next. Can we expect artists to be bought and sold like those in the sporting racket? Will it still be called "art"? What about limited over art? or one day art? Is there a place for "Test art"?
Will the artists be traded between sponsors? Will we have "Arts" clubswith poker machines? Can I barrack for my artist? Will we have the "Art Olympics"? If there's money to be made from this art business let's get on board.Art as competition.... now there's an idea. I pledge my life to the glory of Australian art in green and gold ,a new kind of nationalistic fervour.Brand art. the possibilities go on and on and on.........forever to the market place.................
Posted by ocm, Tuesday, 26 August 2008 12:35:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy