The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Words are easy, words are cheap > Comments

Words are easy, words are cheap : Comments

By Georgina Dimopoulos, published 18/8/2008

Six months since 'Sorry'. Perhaps it is too soon to expect tangible, practical outcomes from the government's apology.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Words are easy, especially when at least 40 delegates from communities forced to endure the intervention & their supporters from across the country converge on Canberra the day before the apology to criticise this current wrong, what better way to deflect the issue & steal the thunder than to announce two weeks before that event, that you're gonna come out and apologise for past wrongs.
This hypocrisy leaves a bittersweet taste and I won't be holding my breath for action on constitutional or UN recognition, especially when it means the so called emergency response would receive the negative attention they are trying so hard to avoid...
Posted by Bunbadgee, Monday, 18 August 2008 9:44:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Words are easy, words are cheap. None more demonstrated than this article. No mention of the total failure of State Governments to address issues of child abuse simply because it is not pc and seen as discriminating. No mention of the millions spent on housing only to be wrecked thus creating shortages (this is to culturally sensitive to talk about). No mentioning the itinerant nature of many indigenous making it very difficult to provide education and services no matter how much you spend. Any honest person knows Mr Rudd's apology might have been sincere but no more than Mr Downers tears or Mr Brough's genuine concern for children.

This article puts all the emphasis for change on more cash but fails to acknowledge real problems. The teaching of work ethics would be a lot smarter way than throwing money at fake jobs that few are likely to turn up to. I am sure if the author ever got a real job she would not be employing people who don't turn up for work whether white or black. Ask those who have tried many times over to give Indigenous people work and stop this victim rhetoric which only compounds the issues. We need men like Noel Pearson who have the guts to tackle real issues rather than fantasize over the 'white trash' mentality.
Posted by runner, Monday, 18 August 2008 10:37:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Howard did apologise, he expressed "regret" .. no it was not the "S" word you crave so dearly .. as if it has made any difference at all, words are cheap and both Howard and Russ know that, you appear to be desperately hoping Rudd's words translate into something, anything .. otherwise he'd be just like Howard wouldn't he?

The expression "get over it" comes to mind when dealing with this subject, and until you do and move on - no one will benefit at all, unless the purpose of this is to set up for yet more handouts?
Posted by rpg, Monday, 18 August 2008 10:56:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Perhaps it is too soon to expect tangible, practical outcomes from the government's apology. But we must be careful that one "S" word - "sorry" - does not simply become another - a symbol."

what is the difference between John Howard and the present incumbent or the lodge?

Howard had the dignity and character to recognise the truth, that words are only words and whilst he 'regretted' events of the past, he felt under no obligation, moral or legal, to say sorry for them.

Unlike the populist swill humper who resides in the lodge today and who lacks the dignity and courage to tell the truth.

And now we see saying "Sorry" was only the entree to a dinner of government sponsored subsistence and extension of the cargo cult mentality of perpetual and unrestrained welfare.
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 18 August 2008 1:18:31 PM
All this conservative talk of welfare dependancy & throwing money at people gets me 'cause I actually live & work with communities & people you assume you know something about, what.. you read a couple of articles in the OZ & you're all black belt commentators on everything black, for instance... all this talk about throwing money around, most of the NT intervention funding (which comes from Aboriginal royalties, not Aussie tax payers) is directed to government controlled Centrelink (which flew in hundreds of white southerners) without bugger all cultural considerations & was implimented by Pearson (a Cape York, QLD fella), he's such a hero he can dictate to the government what they should do in someone elses jurisdiction, fair enough we may not have heard much from anyone else but it helps to get broader views from across all Aboriginal nations, not just a couple of uppity conservatives, the only credit I will give is there is action but any action should be appropriate and effective, not just doing something for the sake of it. PS, I wonder how many were against the apology because of the presumed tidal wave of compensation claims that would follow, how many have there been, huh?
Posted by Bunbadgee, Monday, 18 August 2008 1:31:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pretty good article. She hit the nail on the head re changes in policy re Aboriginals. For the past 50 years it has seemed like mad people were running Aboriginal affairs. One minute it's all peace and love and the next minute the blacks are after land!

I'm a black belt commentator and I'm with Pearson. ATSIC turned in to a farce. Feather nesting. Sucking off the black tit.

Whitey is good at symbolism. Remember Midnight Oil at the Sydney Olympics?

Forget state governments. They're part of the problem.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 18 August 2008 1:52:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy