The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nuclear disarmament: Is Rudd serious? > Comments

Nuclear disarmament: Is Rudd serious? : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 12/6/2008

The number of countries possessing nuclear weapons has increased and the international momentum for nuclear disarmament has all but stopped.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
In our times when rogue states bristling in their apocalyptic beards, like Iran, could produce STEALTHILY nuclear weapons, to set up an International Commission for nuclear disarmament, as Prime Minister Rudd proposes to do, is the ultimate stupidity that any one could suggest. And in the aftermath of 9/11, the magnitude of such stupidity takes astronomical dimensions. Just imagine that countries such as America, Britain, France, and especially, Israel, which could be the targets of a nuclear attack by an Islamist state or by proxies of the latter, would even consider their nuclear disarmament.

Rudd’s proposal limpidly illustrates that Australia does not have a statesman at the helm of the government but a political dilettante and a populist to boot who is more concerned to ingratiate himself with the celestial wishes of its liberal minded constituency than to deal with the geopolitical realities.

Moreover, what is rather surprising and amusing is to see that Gareth Evans is willing to underwrite such political buffoonery by accepting the chair of the International Commission for nuclear disarmament. It seems that his Tasmanian “Biggles” days are not over.

http://kotzabasis3.wordpress.com
Posted by Themistocles, Thursday, 12 June 2008 3:13:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So Australian Prime Minister Kevin Michael Rudd has declared he intends to throw his miniscule weight behind the anti-nukes campaigners. What a joke! He couldn't even manage to ban plastic shopping bags.

http://www.kevinmichaelrudd.com

I think that the ex midnight oil singer who now calls himself the environment minister might have put him up to it but more likely he's just going to use this diversion as an excuse to stop selling Uranium to India. What the hell is the matter with you Rudd? The world is dying from global warming and you want to hold back the nuclear energy industry too. Wake up to yourself. America is never going to give up its nukes anyway and if you can't persuade neocon George Bush then nobody else is going to follow suit. The Genie is out of the bottle you. It can't be put back in. There is uranium and thorium in coal beds anyway which gets burned up with a whole lot of other nasties and pumped straight into our currently breathable atmosphere. So more radiation comes out of coal plants!

As for weapons it's a case of haves and have nots. The most powerful countries in the world have nukes. It's no coincidence either. They give political clout. A country is only as strong as its military. Yes its true that Japan is doing ok and claims not to have any but how do you know they are telling the truth? Australia is surrounded by nuclear nations and I find it disgusting that we have to rely on America's nuclear umbrella to protect us. As long as this continues we will always be a slave of the United States and forced to succumb to her will. Because if we ever fall out with America we will be at the mercy of virtually every country in the region. Even Indonesia could conquer us in a heartbeat. They have more armed trained men than we have population
Posted by RuddKill, Thursday, 12 June 2008 4:15:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can't stop laughing. Andrew asks is Rudd serious? I'll join the daisy chain and ask if Andrew is serious?

Does Andrew truly understand what he has suggested? Lets put it to the test.

But first, a cheery hi to the Israeli/Zionist Lobby, and to the Nuclear Lobby; visited upon us in the comments above.

Now back to Andrew, who I will be the first to congratulate if this turns out to be more than tongue-in-cheek political chaff.

So, Andrew, when will you announce your new Democrat's campaign to promote boycotts against nations that refuse to sign the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty. This is meaningfully translating words into actions.

Meanwhile, I will really appreciate advance notice of the announcement so I can warn Yesh Gvul to have their cameras ready when Olmert is told the news.
Posted by Tony Ryan oziz4oz, Friday, 13 June 2008 2:35:56 PM
The US is still the only one who ever used the things and I think all of their leaders should be forced to visit Hiroshima and see the hell they unleashed on innocent civilians.

With bleeding heart lefties like Sam Nunn and Henry Kissinger already agitating to destroy nukes Rudd might well be on a winner.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Friday, 13 June 2008 9:06:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Marilyn

Can you explain your second paragraph, please. This is new to me. Surely Kissinger would only want non-Israeli/US nukes removed :) Meanwhile, he seems happy that DU continues to be used; more than 1000 tons in Iraq, and even in Faluja. It's beginning to look like DU actually kills more people than detonation nuclear bombs; albeit more slowly.
Posted by Tony Ryan oziz4oz, Saturday, 14 June 2008 12:40:08 PM
I agree with RuddKill. I couldn't believe Rudd thinks he will prise nuclear weapons from the USA's hands. The USA will not give them up and that means no one else will either (even if the USA said they would, other countries would not because they know the USA are filthy liars). Start with the small things like international arms sales and landmines by the USA....that's probably not going tp go away either unless the world lays sanctions down on the USA. But nuclear weapons they will never relinquish. I just can't even see the paranoid freaks over there even dreaming of doing so.
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 18 June 2008 3:27:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy