The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > CV lies and fakes - what ever it takes > Comments

CV lies and fakes - what ever it takes : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 3/4/2008

Falsifying qualifications is morally and ethically reprehensible, illegal and potentially dangerous.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Malcolm this was a problem with government recruitment for a while but now it is almost impossible with many departments/agencies requiring consent to perform a security clearance even for base grade roles. This includes verification of academic qualifications.

In part this was due to the heightened security arrangements for national security but also because of the exposure of a number of government staff whom it was revealed had 'invented' their qualifications.

Those private sector organisations who perform outsourced work on behalf of government also have access to these clearances if their staff will be exposed to sensitive and confidential information. Candidates are advised that appointment is dependent on the security clearance.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 3 April 2008 10:44:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"There are lies and there are lies." It's the thin edge of the wedge with CV's. I've told a few 'porkies' but they were in the order of venal rather than cardinal sins.

I find it hard to believe that an agency/HR department cannot be given access to univerisity qualifications to check their veracity.

If an applicant says 'No, you can't check my academic record' then as an employer I'd say 'see ya later'.
Posted by Cheryl, Thursday, 3 April 2008 12:39:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great article.
Regarding skills, experience, and abilities etc.
The Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume at the end of the day is just words on paper and is written to get the interview. It is the recruiter's or employer's responsibility to determine what it these words actually mean. I am not saying that the job candidate maybe "lying" on the CV, but the reader's interpretation of skills, experience, abilities etc. communicated may not be the same as the candidate's. http://www.cv-service.org
Posted by Mr CV, Thursday, 3 April 2008 5:17:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now the boot's on the other foot.

The engineer case in the article was a dangerous fraud, but its difficult to be sympathetic to the recruiter or employer. Recruiters cultivate their own culture as being one of 'the end justifies the means' and certainly do lots more than just 'embellish'. Many recruiters, including Hudson when it was formerly named something else, I had been to in my search for work as a young person. Despite a booming market and me having manifestly marketable skills, they blackballed me because of my lifestyle. They concocted various lies and mistruths, from questioning my experience employment gaps etc, despite many similar individuals but not of my lifestyle, getting similar jobs through them.

Karma.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Thursday, 3 April 2008 5:37:15 PM
'The consequences of falsifying qualifications are not only litigious, morally or ethically reprehensible but also potentially dangerous.'

Amazing how everyone really does believe in absolutes. They just pick and choose which ones.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 3 April 2008 6:44:55 PM
In a previous life I had cause to want to hire some people,with Bachelors Degrees in engineering and specified it as such to the head hunter.

It subsequently transpired that the person selected with the head hunters assistance had no such quals. When I pressed the matter with the HH they slid behind the fact that I had also negotiated a reduction in their outrageous fees, and they said that because of the discount, they didnt check the candidate quals. However the principal of the firm knew the candidate personally,and would have known his academic quals were false.

So it seems when it comes to ethics and competence there are several players in the room.
Posted by bigmal, Thursday, 3 April 2008 7:45:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy