The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tasmania and the risks to Rudd > Comments

Tasmania and the risks to Rudd : Comments

By Mike Bolan, published 2/4/2008

Which is it to be for Australia - Labor run on Rudd’s principles or dump those principles and cosy up to corporate mates?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Mike

I am not sure where this is going. I think you may have been too soft on Federal Labor. They after all support the mill.

It seems to me the solution is to radicalise the actions against the destruction of the Tamar valley by mass mobilisations, demonstrations and if possible union support. You'd know better than me the chances of the latter.

I am beginning to think a little more deeply about these cutting edge environmental issues and remember the green ban days when environmentalists got the BLF in Sydney to ban certain developments. that shows the way forward i think.

Anyway, I wouldn't put any faith in Rudd, Wong or Garrett. Their interests are profit, profit and more profit and bugger the consequences
Posted by Passy, Wednesday, 2 April 2008 10:01:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The logging industry is a law unto itself". ABCs Difference of Opinion did a very good piece on this in 2007 which is worth a read.

Link: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/differenceofopinion/content/archives/doo_20070913.htm

If the industry is so concerned with jobs it is a pity the advocates of the pulp mill ignore the risk of job losses in agriculture and tourism should the mill go ahead.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 2 April 2008 10:20:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whiile i am by no means a Labor supporter, i have been pleasantly surprised by Rudd's work since getting into power. I agree that he stands to lose much over this project. All i can hope is that they do what the Liberals did early in their term... do something that goes back on their public promises and will lose them support temporarily but will eventualy 'go away' politically before the next election.

The Tasmanian govt should be brought to account, i am ashamed to live in a country where this sort of beligerence is tolerated. If it were a mainland state it would simply not be happening as it is downthere.

As asutralians, Tasmania's war on the environment shames us all.
Posted by The Mule, Friday, 4 April 2008 7:43:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy